GH1 firmware research volunteers required

What? Already? Wow, didn't expect this quick, awesome. Will try to install it tonight but first, I need a PC, I am MAC. Guest I'm going to get a copy of Parallels Desktop.

Again, thanks a bunch. Keep it up!

Definitely avoid Parallels, in my opinion :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG), and try a demo of VMware Fusion 3. Its really powerful and feels seamless with switching between Mac OS X and Windows XP or 7 etc.

The best thing is you can use it with, or even better, without bootcamp.

Last edited:
ok....so a little slow on the uptake, (apologies in advance), but are these FW updates not available for OSX?

Not quite. The Firmware Updates are being created by testers using free software only available on Windows. Eventually I think we can just freely distribute the already patched firmware, as long as we don't charge anyone for it. Do I understand this right?

Not quite. The Firmware Updates are being created by testers using free software only available on Windows. Eventually I think we can just freely distribute the already patched firmware, as long as we don't charge anyone for it. Do I understand this right?
I think it will not happen. Distributing copyrighted material is against the law regardless if money is charged or not.

You cannot distribute the already patched firmware, but you could distribute a patch that patches the original firmware, creating the modified firmware.

We won't distribute modified firmware. It must be clear.

For Mac users use http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
Must be enought. If it'll allow our tool to work, I'll add it to first page.

For native 24p

You must enable BOTH
"Native 24p/25p attempt"
and "60i wrapper" patches.
In this case it must work as in 25p case.
I'll combine both patches later.

Once the changes are known for a particular firmware version, a binary patch should be possible and available for other platforms. This can be applied using the Unix patch command line utility which is available in OS X. The firmware itself is not really run from the computer, tester13 is simply using the best tools available to him for dissassembly, i.e. IDA 4.9 free.

For Mac users, you can run Windows as a virtual machine using one of several virtualization packages. I agree with other that of the paid ones, VMWare Fusion is great. I have tested tester13's program in VirtualBox and it works fine, as does IDA 4.9 Free. VirtualBox is free and available at http://www.virtualbox.org/

It is not wise to distribute modified versions of the firmware, as there are copyright issues. If ever there is a completely re-written firmware after all is understood then that can possibly be distributed.

tester, may I re-iterate what others have said concerning the downgrade capability. If we cannot downgrade, then we can never re-install official Panasonic firmware until they release one that is "above" the version on the camera. This has warranty implications in the mean time. Also, is it not possible that since the loader is in the binary, that Panasonic could (for some reason) come up with some clever way to disable the installation of unofficial firmware?

Thanks for your work tester, you deserve the camera! I hope when you get it you post some video!

Last edited:
Once the changes are known for a particular firmware version, a binary patch should be possible and available for other platforms. This can be applied using the Unix patch command line utility which is available in OS X. The firmware itself is not really run from the computer, tester13 is simply using the best tools available to him for dissassembly, i.e. IDA 4.9 free.

For Mac users, you can run Windows as a virtual machine using one of several virtualization packages. I agree with other that of the paid ones, VMWare Fusion is great. I have tested tester13's program in VirtualBox and it works fine, as does IDA 4.9 Free. VirtualBox is free and available at http://www.virtualbox.org/

Look at solution above I gave link. Give it a try, as you don't need to own Windows copy to use it.

tester, may I re-iterate what others have said concerning the downgrade capability. If we cannot downgrade, then we can never re-install official Panasonic firmware until they release one that is "above" the version on the camera. This has warranty implications in the mean time. Also, is it not possible that since the loader is in the binary, that Panasonic could (for some reason) come up with some clever way to disable the installation of unofficial firmware?

Try to read thread carefully. I already stated that I have closed patch making version independant firmware (but I do not advise you to downgrade, only back to original firmware). It'll be only provided in case of serious trouble as it is crucial and could result in working camera that is not able to upgrade anymore (it is very improbable case, but) :).

We won't distribute modified firmware. It must be clear.

For Mac users use http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
Must be enought. If it'll allow our tool to work, I'll add it to first page.

For native 24p

You must enable BOTH
"Native 24p/25p attempt"
and "60i wrapper" patches.
In this case it must work as in 25p case.
I'll combine both patches later.

Wow, it works. Very impressive. The only hiccup I see is that the camera freezes when trying to play a native FHD 24p .mts file. But...

1. I can now play the FHD .mts files with VLC. It always stuttered with the old 60i format.
2. My workflow for ingesting clips into Final Cut is cut by more than half. I used to have to use "Log and Transfer" to transfer to Prores, and then compressor to remove pulldown. Now I only have to use "Log and Transfer" which is the faster of the two processes and I'm done. Amazing.

One thing about the version number issue, though. I increment it each time I create a new firmware and I'm now on number 32. When the GH1 shows the upgrade screen is asks if I want to upgrade to "1.4". So, either I'm doing something wrong or we only have about 10-20 (maybe 16?) firmware upgrades between 1.2 and 1.3 and so on.

One thing about the version number issue, though. I increment it each time I create a new firmware and I'm now on number 32. When the GH1 shows the upgrade screen is asks if I want to upgrade to "1.4". So, either I'm doing something wrong or we only have about 10-20 (maybe 16?) firmware upgrades between 1.2 and 1.3 and so on.

Look numbers above input incriment field, they show you exact number, this is hexadecimal number, so 1.2D also exists and works, you have about 65.000 version numbers to go :)
Plus we have version revert patch in reserve.

The only hiccup I see is that the camera freezes when trying to play a native FHD 24p .mts file. But...

No one promized that it won't.
As player do not expect such surprizes.
We'll investigate further file structure and all flags.

I believe that you can try to lower GOP to slightly reduce mud.
By idea mud in native fps and low GOP must be much lower.

Look numbers above input incriment field, they show you exact number, this is hexadecimal number, so 1.2D also exists and works, you have about 65.000 version numbers to go :)
Plus we have version revert patch in reserve.

I don't understand. I've tried putting in decimal and hexadecimal numbers as increments, but I get the same result. I've attached a screenshot. What number should I use next as an increment so that I have 65,000 more? Thanks.

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0
i'd like to add that a 3rd party battery patch would be nice for those who want to get extra batteries. i have the original 1.2 firmware that allows 3rd party batteries if needed.

i'd like to add that a 3rd party battery patch would be nice for those who want to get extra batteries. i have the original 1.2 firmware that allows 3rd party batteries if needed.

I know, this is same low level stuff as AGC. But easear to spot.
Read my previous posts. I traced it back to main camera state structure and know hardware error number.
But it is almost impossible to find where it sets error state and code.

As for 1.21 (actual) firmware with battery support it is of little help, as it is wastly different from 1.22 (1.12 is much much closer to 1.22).

Have you guys seen how the 5DMkII Magic Lantern guys were able to structure their development/testing, etc?

Was there something you unique they had so that they could create new functionality (I think they added audio level meters and some other new features)? Maybe the creator could give us some pointers? I don't understand it enough to know how their dev process was different, but this project seems to have similar to potential to theirs in terms of impact to GH1 users!

Here's more info on their firmware mods:
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

e-steve

Thanks for old news :)
ML is one man show, in fact.
Try to read my previous messages in this thread about ML, if you want to know more.
I don't like this project concept and I don't want to go their way, period.

Last edited:
Sorry, I do not understand your point.
0xFFFF is maximum version number :)
Calculate that is equal 0xFFFF-0x121.

Ok, so you're saying everything is working how it should. I have upgraded firmware 35 times so the GH1 thinks I am upgrading to 1.4. That's normal, right?

I don't care that much, but if this whole experiment doesn't yield results then the only way to upgrade to whatever version Panasonic is coming out with in May (maybe 1.3?) is by using your emergency patch. Is that right?

Back