GH1 firmware research volunteers required

I don't even own a GH1 anymore, and I've just contributed $30 to the cause. Work like this, done in the interest of the community, is vital and very much appreciated.

I don't even own a GH1 anymore, and I've just contributed $30 to the cause. Work like this, done in the interest of the community, is vital and very much appreciated.

Better grab one before the price goes thru the roof! This could increase demand for the GH1... :undecided

wonder if they'll do the zacuto shootout again

wonder if they'll do the zacuto shootout again

Better grab one before the price goes thru the roof! This could increase demand for the GH1... :undecided

Part 4, LOL. Made another donation too ;-) thanks tester13

Hi and Thanks sooo much.

Is native 24/25p is recommended with these new settings ?
You said that video playback works, I assume that you didn't activate native 24/25p, right ?

Last question, I have SDHC class 4 only, is it better to configure my camera with a settings or b settings ?

Have a good day ! I'm testing b settings, it's pretty awsome !!!!

I knew there had to be some kind of breakthrough when I woke up as I had at least 20 emails worth of donations in my inbox. Awesome.

Paypal balance $557.86

did a small test with the following settings (these were the only patches applied along with Version change and Language change, no native 24 patch applied):

Video buffer - a) 40.000.000 b) 40.000.000
Video bitrate adjustment - a) 32.000.000 b) 38.000.000
Overall bitrate adjustment - a) 35.000.000 b) 39.000.000
Limiting bitrate adjustment - a) 40.000.000 b) 40.000.000

Without a patch applied i get:
720p
[Video] Bit rate : 14.5 Mbps
[Video] Maximum bit rate : 16.6 Mbps
[Overall] Overall bit rate : 15.3 Mbps
[Overall] Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

1080p
[Video] Bit rate : 14.3 Mbps
[Overall] Overall bit rate : 15.1 Mbps
[Overall] Maximum Overall bit rate : 18.0 Mbps

For a) I get:
720p
[Video] Bit rate : 17.3 Mbps
[Overall] Overall bit rate : 18.2 Mbps
[Overall] Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.0 Mbps

1080p
[Video] Bit rate : 25.0 Mbps
[Overall] Overall bit rate : 26.3 Mbps
[Overall] Maximum Overall bit rate : 35.0 Mbps

For b) I get:
720p
[Video] Bit rate : 28.3 Mbps
[Overall] Overall bit rate : 29.7 Mbps
[Overall] Maximum Overall bit rate : 39.9 Mbps

1080p
[Video] Bit rate : 32.3 Mbps
[Overall] Overall bit rate : 33.8 Mbps
[Overall] Maximum Overall bit rate : 39.9 Mbps

All videos were viewable in camera.
One question though... I have been following the thread since the very beginning so i might have missed it, but is the video buffer limited to 40Mbps or did Tester13 just set those values based on estimations?

Last edited:
Unbelievable stuff Tester. Sent $30 to you guys for the cause - you deserve it and all the guys helping and hope that it helps get new bodies or something.

Last edited:
I have some ideas about playback problems of native footage.
But this needs work.
720p24 patch is interesting here, as it contains native patch. And yet it plays fine at camera.
Also 1080p24 have weird framerate reported by mediainfo - 47,952 (inside all is ok), and players play this file at double speed.
But 720p24 reports correct framerate and plays fine.

I just donated $25.

Also, a huge thank you to tester13 & others for what you've already accomplished.

And it appears things are getting better & better. Excellent work!

(In the "nice to have dreams" category: I hope to see 1080p24 playback in camera (AVCHD or MJPEG whichever is better quality), and live audio & video monitoring while recording, but I don't mean to diminish the fantastic results you've already achieved. Thanks again!)

video only

video only

Hello. I'm sorry if this has come up in the other 227 pages of the thread, but do any of these modifications affect the still image quality out of the GH1, or are they aimed strictly at enhancing the video capability?

No affect on still, although tester would love you to add a timelapse to the still capture! please ;-0:love4:

I knew there had to be some kind of breakthrough when I woke up as I had at least 20 emails worth of donations in my inbox. Awesome.
Paypal balance $557.86
This is a milestone worth celebrating, so add another $30 from me to the fund. I hope that by the time of GH2's release there is enough there to get one of the first units to Tester13. Something tells me its going to be a much tougher nut to crack, so the faster the process is started the better.

For now, cheers T! Get out, shoot some footage and share.

Also 1080p24 have weird framerate reported by mediainfo - 47,952 (inside all is ok), and players play this file at double speed.

My mediainfo does not report this problem in 1080p25 native
I've activated 25p native (I'm from France), and setup 32MB bitrate settings from your recommendations.

I have done some tests. I am sorry guys that I am not in a situation to upload it, but IQ is Amazing with capital A.
I thinking about crashing my piggie box served for 5DMKII.
Where to put money from there? You know for some R&D team?

Best of all is that there is no compression artifacts in darker part of images.

Last edited:
Wow, all this on the day I finally decided I'm keeping (not exchanging) my GH1.. quite nice. I'll begin testing asap and donating as soon as my paycheck clears ;)

Btw, is getting your hands on service software still high on the agenda Tester13?

This is all great news (as everyone has already said). Will be donating come payday. Is there a patch for 720/24p that does not eliminate 1080/24p yet or is that still in the works? After video quality and framerate has been conquered (which seems to be coming quickly), if AGC gets disabled (if we're lucky video out), this camera will be a beast to be reckoned with for quite some time.

Has anyone tried calling (800) 211-7262? It is the phone number for the Panasonic Factory Service in Texas. Not sure if they would have information on service software and/or Panasonic compilers.

Thanks again for the great work everyone!!

Last edited:
Back