GH1 firmware research volunteers required

I added some info about NM103 to my blog.
GH1 firmware can be disassembled without major problems.
You could also note that MN103 is CISC processor, so more easy to understand sometimes.
I believe that bitrate, AGC and batteries check can be found .
Note that processor module source is freely available on request.

Unfortunately, I am sure that GH2 firmware will be encrypted very good (as is TZ7, TZ10 firmwares). Without any hope for dumping and similar things.

Last edited:
Cool- Thanks for your effort. So do you mean that the bitrate can be made higher? What about mpeg 720 mode, can that be adjusted to a higher bit rate?

Last edited:
It is really great to hear that the wheels are beginning to roll in regards to reverse engineering the GH1 and getting some very helpful features added. I would see the most important (and feasible) hacks would be attempting to disable AGC and having native 24fps in 1080 & 720.

I unfortunately do not have the knowledge to spearhead anything of this caliber in a technical regard, but...

I do have extensive experience setting up grassroots campaigns for art-house film distribution companies in New York where I live and work. If we could find an engineer with the knowledge or a group of focused people to start working on a small list of hacks, a paypal account could be set up for them (much like the Magic Lantern project) for GH1 owners to donate to the cause. I would be more than willing to set up a small campaign to help spread the word and try to attract people to donate to such a cause. GH1 owners (including myself) are passionate about filmmaking and this camera and I'm certain would be behind a cause like this.

Thanks for getting the wheel rolling tester13!!!

Very interesting thread; will be following it with interest. Wish I could help in some way but all this stuff is way beyond me.

Sorry for going off topic, but could you briefly say if your work on the Pentax camera(s) uncovered any possible enhancements for their video capability -- such as bitrate changes or 24/25 fps frames rates? Are they easier to work on compared to Panasonic?

Thanks.

I would be more than willing to set up a small campaign to help spread the word and try to attract people to donate to such a cause. GH1 owners (including myself) are passionate about filmmaking and this camera and I'm certain would be behind a cause like this.
And I would be more than willing to give a few bucks to this cause!

I'm a GH1 user but I don't have time to offload firmware and decrypt. Do you have the decrypted FW posted somewhere so we(I) can take a look?

if you are able to see 60 50 25 and 24 fps does that mean it is possible to unlock those fps for user use? very interesting. I know that when the camera is put together the main board allows the assembler to set region only once then it is locked. can explain why some people get their camera serviced and returned with different region settings if the main board is changed.

Yes it'll be possible.

Don't know about region locking other then that it is purely artifical thing for long time.
I believe that 720p 24fps is very interesting indeed.
And if bitrate could be up to 28Mbps, picture will be fantastic.

Last edited:
If you don't seconds time even to download file, how you could spend hours for research?

Cause as I sit at my desk at work, I can sift through code, but I can't have my camera sitting there looking suspiciously like I'm not doing work.. :)

Sorry for going off topic, but could you briefly say if your work on the Pentax camera(s) uncovered any possible enhancements for their video capability -- such as bitrate changes or 24/25 fps frames rates? Are they easier to work on compared to Panasonic?

I didn't worked on K7 as I don't have one. I am also not interested in K7 video features as it uses sensor not suitable for video. If anyone want to work on AGC it is not that hard as we have all the tools and instructions can be found in my blog or site pages.
Samsung and Pentax use Fujitsu FR cores and this is a RISC processor.
Most notably it means interleaved code and data and heavy usage of offsets that must be processed by hand. Processor module that we made are also not very good.

Last edited:
I know very little about code, but --Any chance for more than 60fps??

now that I type this- it's probably no--oh well tossed it there.

Definitely take the higher bitrate though!!!:thumbsup:

A big issue for us PAL users is the 30min. time limit maybe you could check on that.

Also, I have the 1.2 firmware Panny released first that allows 3rd party batteries, maybe you could use the code from that version so you have the 1.2 features + 3rd party battery compatibility.

here is the link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/aw0cwo

MJPEG 24 FPS and higher bitrate for it and AVCHD would be fantastic. I would definitely pay for that. I have absolutely no knowledge on how to work with coding. Good luck with the project and thanks for the effort.

Back