Doritos Superbowl Contest Entry

blownapartstudios

Here is a commercial we shot for Doritos "Crash the Superbowl" contest.

www.blownapartstudios.com

It was shot entirely with the GH1. The fractal design took longer to build than we thought so we ended up having to shoot almost the whole thing in about 3 hours. Because of the time crunch and the inability to check the footage (and all the wide angles) we ended up shooting the whole thing in 720P. The footage was then conformed to 24p in Cineform. We were quite pleased with the result.

A few other details...

The whole thing was shot handheld, with the GH1 attached to a DVTEC MultiRig Pro.

Again, because of time constraints, only two lenses were used. The stock lens and the 20mm 1.7

The 20mm had a cheap .5 wide angle adapter attached to give it a true 20mmFOV. This worked incredibly well and I've become a believer in wide angle adapters. Almost no distortion and almost zero light loss.

We controlled exposure with a 77mm FaderND. This thing works incredible and I don't want to ever shoot without one again.

The only lighting we had was one reflector which we used for bounce a few times. Shooting close to magic hour on a lot of it didn't hurt:)

Sound was captured on a zoom H4n with a Rode NTG-2. Manual sync wasn't a big issue. However, in the future we plan on either keeping the number of camera and audio takes in sync or manually writing down what take goes with what. We had a lot more camera takes than audio takes and it took a while to figure out what went with what.

All the editing and effects work was done in Premiere and After Effects CS4. The ability of these programs to dynamically link and share files was a Godsend. We only had one week for post.

Magic Bullet Looks was used for color correction and for the most part was very minor.

This was our first project and overall we were very happy. The GH1 is an incredible little camera. It's incredibly flexible with it's flip out screen and combined with the DVTEC makes an amazingly light, versatile rig.

I've been visiting this forum for years learning as much as I can. It feels good to be able to finally post something here.

Awesome stuff!! I am really curious to know what wide angle adapter you used as I am on the hunt for a wide angle adapter to use with my Canon FD 50mm 1.4.

Thanks and looks great!

Like I said, it was cheap. All it says is "Digital Pro" "High Definition .5x wide angle" "Made in Japan". It has a separate macro lens that screws on the back. It has 52mm thread so I had to get a 46 to 52 adapter to stick it on the 20mm. It came with an old Nikon prosumer camera as a "camera bundle" about 6 or 7 years ago.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comments. Most of the best shots used the 20mm 1.7 with the wide angle adapter. The opening shot that whips around into the sun, the following overhead crane shot where the nerd says "largest fractal Dorito", and the "battlestations" shot. The two I'm not sure about are the ping pong table shot and the crane up to reveal the cheerleaders. All the rest I know were the 14-140 stock lens.

The wide overhead of the fractal with the Doritos logo was actually a still that we shot with the stock lens and another .45 wide angle adapter. We had the stock lens at 14 so that's a little over 12mm FOV. It has a lot of distortion and vignetting at the corners but the fractal was so big that we needed every bit of it. We had a 25 foot ladder leaned up against a goal post and I was at the top with my arm stretched over my head as far as I could go. Fun times:)

Last edited:
Again, thanks for the comments.

I wanted to let everyone know that they can see some shots of the wide angle adapter setup that we used in the making of video we posted. There is also a lot more GH1 footage. I also just posted some details on that thread that clarifies which shots used the adapter.

Making of/Blooper

Back