Cinema EOS Announcement on 19th Jan - EOS R5C

indiawilds

Canon has teased a Cinema EOS announcement on 19th Jan 7 am EST. Got this message from B&H
Any idea what it is?
I guess an entry level camera above C70? If so, I would be interested.
Edit: EOS R5C has been announced with 8K raw unto 30p and 8k raw 60p (with external power). This is a cinema version of EOS R5
B&H says price is 4499 USD (body only)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmGkQDE0R0

Last edited:
IDK, but give this marketing person a raise, ASAP.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Canon Key Features.jpg Views:	0 Size:	8.5 KB ID:	5684054

And that's the only one! LOL

I would say R1 but it's likely not Cinema EOS. Probably something 8K.

Damn. Now I have to sell all of the Sony stuff I just purchased... Norbro rushed me along in my decision making process :) Just kidding!

You should have waited Bassman...this one's going to be a doozy...

It's going to be.... an r5 that doesn't overheat

which, yes, is a doozy. But you might be looking at $10k+ for a 2-camera package vs $6k for a7siii + a7iv.

R5 is superior in some ways. (Plus it has 8K RAW, which obviously sony doesn't offer. I don't think I really need that at this moment, although options are nice.) A7siii has lowlight advantage. And possibly 4k120 advantage

Sony has more lens options at better prices

Would I prefer to own 3 R5c's instead of a7siii fx3 a7iv? Maybe. But I saved money, I moved early. low-light. Life goes on

Just got off the phone with 3 of my wedding clients.

Effective immediately, absolutely no Sony cameras.

R3, R5 and R5c moving forward.

Any 4K-only inquiries will result in curt replies. Don't even mention color science.

This is really unprecedented, man...never seen anything like it in 86 years.

Agree its more likely the R5C. Thats a rather interesting choice for a cinema camera. Sure its raw but its also a DSLR form factor with many stills capabilities. How many true cinema camera owners really need that? The R series along with other hybrid DSLRS is more appealing to hybrid needs for video production and stills.

Would a stills photographer care with a R5c and would a film maker really go for a form factor like vs vs a true cinema camera? The R5 represented a first for Canon. Killer stills and killer video in one somewhat affordable form factor. I guess we have to see the price point of the R5c and what is still sacrificed. It still has a small screen and very limited scopes and tools that do not work while recording.

Killer stills and killer video in one somewhat affordable form factor.
Depends what you’re after, surely. I’ve never fully understood the success of the R5. The readout of the sensor is not fast enough for even full-quality 60p, never mind 120p that the α7S III / FX3 / FX6 can do with a negligible crop. With the R5 you’re line-skipping or heavily cropping for 60p and 120p.

That’s pretty miserable for a camera of its price, if you ask me, but I’m only a dilettante with a particular disgust for rolling-shutter artefacts and no great fetish for 8K. I guess it’s really the 8K headline spec that sold this camera.

Presumably this new fan-cooled R5 will have the same limitations but at least not overheat. Maybe it’ll have the luxury of a full-size HDMI port, you know, like an entry-level Panasonic G9 or Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K.

B cam/gimbal cam/crash cam/ YouTube cam

Even the higher end guys love the mirrorless/DSLR's on their gimbals, especially for walk 'n talk type stuff(presumably for the lighter weight and AF). I've got a buddy who has an Amira, Alexa mini, F5 and Komodo. Did a shoot with him a few months ago and what did he have on the gimbal? An FX3.

Agree its more likely the R5C... would a film maker really go for a form factor like vs vs a true cinema camera?

Following an ahalpert's comment (btw- can you remind me of your first name?), Content Creators would did a camera like that, I think. Yes, I hate the term. But they're a category.

And as you say, a b-cam for video/film people and also perhaps for still people (a couple still news photogs I know, who are canon-based as are most in our area, are interested in the R5C).

I think it could be a really successful camera. I want to know more...

Even the higher end guys love the mirrorless/DSLR's on their gimbals, especially for walk 'n talk type stuff(presumably for the lighter weight and AF). I've got a buddy who has an Amira, Alexa mini, F5 and Komodo. Did a shoot with him a few months ago and what did he have on the gimbal? An FX3.

Ibis is nice on gimbal too. Unless you're doing serious stuff and want to absolutely control the movement, then I think ibis is helpful

Word on the street for a while has been the C70-like style is Canon's new direction for cameras moving forward, and the old C300/500 body is done.

Obviously, IDK for sure - but I personally prefer a C70 style 1000x more.

They are building the LCD and handle into the body which is what hundreds have always asked for. Others can add stuff.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C70_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.0 KB ID:	5684089

Click image for larger version  Name:	C70_2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	5684090

P.S. I know the above doesn't please the shoulder-camera crowd, but besides the ARRI Amira, I think you can count the number of other shoulder-friendly cinema cameras on one hand since the early 2000s.

Back