Your best guess: What lighting setup was used in this clip?

ayoshi

New member
Hello!
Long time reader, but I think this could be my first post! eek.

I will be making a short video for a dentist and wanted it to look like THIS:


Lighting is not my strongest area, so my question is this: What kind of setup do you think was used in that clip?

The office I will be shooting in has compact fluorescents with magnetic ballasts so I was planning on turning the room lights off and lighting everything myself.

What should I rent to get the look above? A softbox? (or two)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
A
 
Pull up the video to full screen and look at her eyes. You will see the reflections from the lights used.

As a side note, I hope you don't try to emulate the framing and cuts used in this video.
 
Looks like a 4-foot 4-bank Kino Flo above eye-level placed just camera left as keylight. Looks like another Kino, perhaps a 4-foot single tube place on the floor to uplight some soft fill. The on-side key emphasizes her nose in a bad way. I would have placed the keylight on the right side to de-emphasize her nose and give her face some shape. The odd framing seems unnecessary for this kind of video, too. And the cuts are almost jumpcuts. Again, seems stylistically wrong for the content.
 
Just because you have a shallow depth of field, doesn't mean that you have a good looking video. Flat lighting, odd framing and for me most of all, they should have either changed the way she was addressing the questions, or she should have looked right into camera. It felt that she was talking to me but looking somewhere else.
 
Back
Top