XAVC-I, XAVC-L and ProRes 4k with CS6?

firehawk

Veteran
XAVC-S (1080 60P) wasn't supposed to work in CS6 yet when I tried it works fine.
ProRes (1080 HD) also works fine.
XAVC-S 4k footage also works.
Now XAVC-L and XAVC-I also aren't supposed to work, and I have no way of testing it so does anyone know if it will import into CS6 (WINDOWS).
How about 2K and 4K ProRes?

I'm looking at getting an FS700R (eventually an Odyssee7Q+) or possibly FS5 and trying to determine what codecs will be easiest to deal with.
I don't want to deal with uncompressed RAW, but if I can get some flavor of compressed 4K to work natively in CS6 that would be great.
 
I have had the same experience as you with these codecs - they all work just fine.

I see no reason at all why the XAVC-L and XAVC-I wouldn't work just the same as XAVC-S. I don't think that Premiere sees these as different from each other. If it can decode XAVC at all then it shouldn't care how the camera created its frames.

Additionally the 4K ProRes seemed to work normally as well. It was just a quick test, not an actual project so I can't say just how far your can push 4K ProRes around in CS6 - but it should be fine because CS6 already played pretty well with the bigger RED files etc..

ProRes and DNxHD are smooth as butter in general on CS6 and always seem to work better than anything else for me.
 
Is there anywhere I could download a clip of prores 4k footage to see if it works in my system and XAVC L and XAVC I ?
It sure would help to know if and how well it works before I buy :)
 
XAVC-S (1080 60P) wasn't supposed to work in CS6 yet when I tried it works fine.

"Wasn't supposed to work"? Really? Who told you that? XAVC-S is just MP4, so why the heck wouldn't it work? CS6 does MP4 no problem.

ProRes (1080 HD) also works fine.

I guess you're on a Mac, in which case, well... again, why wouldn't it work? It also works on Windows (for import) if you install the drivers.

XAVC-S 4k footage also works.

Great. Again, so what?

Now XAVC-L and XAVC-I also aren't supposed to work, and I have no way of testing it so does anyone know if it will import into CS6 (WINDOWS).

I can tell you for sure that CS6 can NOT import XAVC-L from the X70, because that's the camera I have. I'm pretty sure sure you're correct that XAVC-L and XAVC-I will NOT work. (I'm also a CS6 die-hard.)

The difference is that XAVC-L and XAVC-I are in the MXF wrapper; in other words, they are actually different to regular video formats. Whereas XAVC-S is just marketing buzzcrap for plain old MP4 (constrained to a particular profile), which works fine.

Re-wrapping XAVC-L into an MP4 wrapper works great -- in other words, the video inside the wrapper, which is just H.264, imports with no modification. Only the wrapper is a problem. Why didn't Sony just use MP4? No idea. You can re-wrap with ffmpeg, but that's a Unix command-line tool. I keep hoping they'll fix Handbrake to do this, and it seems they're close:

http://www.video-pedia.com/2015/10/14/handbrake-alternatives-to-convert-mxf-mac/

How about 2K and 4K ProRes?

Don't know. I would not anticipate any problems, since you seem to be OK with HD ProRes, but your idea to get some samples and try it is the right one.

I'm looking at getting an FS700R (eventually an Odyssee7Q+) or possibly FS5 and trying to determine what codecs will be easiest to deal with.
I don't want to deal with uncompressed RAW, but if I can get some flavor of compressed 4K to work natively in CS6 that would be great.

For my money the FS5 is the choice here -- the FS700 (I used to have one and loved it) is getting pretty old now. Of course the price is good. But then you'd want the Odyssey or Shogun to get ProRes (I agree that working with RAW is going to be a horrible ordeal).

But for the FS5, you will need to convert the footage from XAVC-L. There are means to do this (like Sony Catalyst), but it's an added step.
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I'm on a PC.

Regarding the XAVC-S "not supposed to work" I read that several places on the internet but also read it would so I didn't know for sure until I tried it.

That is very helpful regarding the MXF wrapper info. I now feel confident the L and I footage will not import into CS6.
So that means rewrapping/converting the footage. I'm going to watch for handbrake to see if that becomes an option. Also will look into Sony Catalyst. Can Vegas Pro 12 or 13 do this?
 
Back
Top