Writing foreign dialogue

gibbie

Member
Why so few topics in the screenwriting section? Hmm.

I am just starting a new script that involves a Chinese American character who will be returning to China. In fact, I'm pretty sure that at least 50% of the story will be set there. My question is: How do you indicate foreign dialogue in a screenplay? Do you just put (in Mandarin) beside each character's name?

Are there any other considerations? Surely writers who don't speak a given language use some convention to do this, especially since the readers will most likely not speak the foreign language?

I know I could search for the answer on the internet, but I'm partly interested in using this particular forum. Am I missing something? It shows that there should be 199 topics, but I only see one. Cheers!
 
To see other topics in this forum, you have to go to the main page of the Screenplay/Writing section and change the Display Options towards the bottom of the screen. Pick something like a month (or however far back you want to go) and click Show Threads.
 
JACK
(in Mandarin)
Yes, coffee would be fine.

If a whole conversation (between two or more people) was taking place in Mandarin, then I would just mention that in your description at the head of the conversation, saving you and the reader time reading it over and over again.

EJ
 
"the way it's done"

"the way it's done"

alveraz said:
Hi, Gibbie. That's not a 'tip' EJ gave you, it's the way it's done.

Good luck.


Cheers. Then, that is the way I'll do it! Didn't mean to treat EJ's explantation as a mere tip. I was probably just braindead!

Thanks again!
 
Well, I could help out in some romanised mandarin translation, if you need.

Cheers.

Oh, sometimes it helps when you place the context in mind, because Mandarin and other Chinese dialects are pretty nuanced languages. ;)
 
Back
Top