Wow. I´m seriously considering shooting a feature-length TV documentary on the X70.

Wow that's very nice of you to say, thank you Paul. Good luck with the camera and keep up the good work!

Sad to report that I just updated the firmware to version 2 on my X70 - hoping that Sony Vegas could read the XAVC files, but still sadly it can't. Very odd - as Vegas has no issues with any 2k/4k XAVC files I throw at it from my Sony F5.

Sparky, you could use their free catalyst software to convert to XAVC I during capture. Sony justt released a new build today.

Well, so I did a 5 week documetary this summer, and I must say. The X70 is the bomb. Great little camera, lovely images. Maybe not the sharpest, og the viggest dynamic range, but in that price range...wow. Takes a while to get used to the focus wheel and the small piece of kit tho. The camera was put to the test being transported on a bike the whole time, dropped twice, soaking wet, full of dust and genereally banged up pretty bad. Hardly being inndoor the whole while, but sleeping with me in a tent. It worked like a clock. I developed some nopis on the +48 on CH1, but that was easily fixed in service. I had 4 batteries, but only needed maximum 2 every day.

I used the Senheiser MKH50, and a lightweight manfrotto tripod. The X70 will be a steady companion and backup camera for future productions. The only one time I had issues was condensation while moving inside due to a lot of rain, but I had a A7II that saved me that day.

Higly reccomended if anyone is considering this little beauty.

Back