Working with Models....

If you worked with models on photoshoots, I have a couple questions to ask. If you have done shoots with models that are or claim to be signed to an agency, I would like to hear from you too.
 
I am just getting into still and fashion photography. I shot this girl a couple weeks ago, touched her photos, and emailed them to her. I then told her I wanted to put one of the pics which shows a good example of before and after in my online portfolio. She said she rather not want me to post them online! Now some of her pics were topless but I was not talking about that picture. Her reasoning, she claims she is signed to an agency and she didn't want to get into trouble! Now common sense would say to me that if your signed to an agency why would you allow your self to be photographed then tell the photographer he can't do anything with the pics. For this particular shoot, I DID have Model Release forms but I left out some pertinent information on the forms by accident so I did not have her sign. Here is what ticks me off. She has all these pics of her on her facebook page and she is not giving those photographers are hard time but she is with me.

Then I have another girl who is a good friend of mine who models and I shot a week later, well last weekend she asks me to take down all pictures of her because it could ruin her chances of getting with an agency. All her pics were professional pics done in good taste. No nudes or anything crazy like that.

Between both of these girls, I shot some good pics and wanted to show my work off in my online portfolio's.

So I dare ask you all, is this a common thing with models? I spoke to a woman the other day who used to model for over 10 years with a major agency in NYC, LA, and Paris and she said everything I am telling you all sounds very fishy and crazy. She told me to keep the pics but don't work with them anymore.

YES I am in the process of re-writing my Model Release Forms now!!!

I did go on the one girl's agency's website and when I clicked the link for photography it said "We send our models to these photographers" which leads me to believe those photogs might be contracted to work soley with the models they represent. Sooooo why is she allowing OTHER photographers to shoot her then telling SOME of us, don't use her picture or post them on facebook or whatever. Meanwhile she has a bunch of pics that were NOT shot by the photogs her agency works with. Sounds like a double standard to me!

I just wanted to get feedback from someone on this issue. The bottom line is that I won't waste my time with this girl in the future. She is acting like a DIVA and she is hardly that.

Ive shot plenty other girls who do not mind where I post the pictures online but I have ran into a small issue with these 2 and wanted to get some feedback or if you have heard of models doing this!


Thanks
 
Last edited:
Was there any money exchanged in this deal with these two models? Was there a contract?

It sounds like

1. You are angry
2. They didn't care for the photos.

That happens.

So get your release forms in order, make sure your models sign them, and be upfront and honest with them AND YOURSELF, about how the photos will be used. We work with any number of models, both signed and not signed. But if a model doesn't care for us to use their photographs (happens rarely) then we oblige them.
 
Well, let's get around a few things straight first.

1. You own those photos and can post them to your website without recourse as long as you are not selling those images for profit. If you sell them, then you would need a release.

2. Models are nuts. Some are awesome, but most are flaky and vague at best.

3. It is your job to discuss before hand what you may or may not do with the photos. I typically respect the wishes of a client. In this case, I don't know if they were paying or not. I would still respect what they are asking, even though it is crazy and unreasonable, because you want them to have a positive view of your business practices. Remember, they have crazy friends that may pay you too.

4. If the model is signed to an agent, then her contract may stipulate if she is able to release her image or not. It may be that she can not sign her own model release. Typically I do not worry about this b/c when I shoot head shots I'm normally being paid to provide prints or files directly to the model or the agency. I will not sell those to a 3rd party.

So to recap, just like Ford said, be nice, respect their wishes, don't be upset, set very clear expectations up front regarding what you are going to do with the images, what you expect them to do with your images, and make sure that info is in the release that you use.
 
Back
Top