Will airport security screening damage my camera equipment?

I've got a feeling that with the millions of people flying and owning vast numbers of digital cameras, if there were a big issue with it we would have heard by now. Every tourist I see in my city has a Nikon or Canon hanging of their necks and they all flew in from someplace. I think your assumption of "not" is a good one. The big question I think is...What goes into the luggage hold vs what goes in your carry on bag. Keep in mind I may be wrong...I think it's been ten years since I left this chair:)
 
I went through with two small pelicans of small lights and a video camera with various other pieces of odd equipment and they had trouble seeing everything well in the x-ray but pulled me to a special area where they had me remove the contents and place it all in a tub. Not once did they try to grab anything themselves and they were fantastically professional and helpful during the whole experience. Still cameras I havent even had them bat an eye at. So I'd say you'll be just fine. I would suggest carrying it on as opposed to checking it as its not much fun to watch your case tumble and do flips onto the luggage cart. Although the camera (d70) was just fine as was everything else. Just scary to watch...
 
As far as film goes you only need to worry about high ISO stock.

With digital you'll be fine.

agreed, 1600 or higher shouldn't go through x-ray.

Ive brought my xl2 as a carry on to Israel but called ahead of time to make sure they wouldn't take it apart when I got to the airport. (it is a "Canon" after all)
 
Just don't do what that producer did a few years back when the customs officials asked him what he was doing in the country and he said he was there to "shoot a pilot." Bad thing to say in an airport.
 
I had the lens of my HVX swabbed for explosives once in Seattle. It survived, and I was happy to know that there was no explosive residue on my HVX. :) This of course after I had already been to the other side of the world and back across 3 countries and 5 or 6 other airports and was about to get on my last plane that they decided to check it.

You never know what can happen, but I've never heard much in the way of horror stories of camera equipment being damaged by security screeners. Damaged or stolen if you check it, yes. But, carry on you should be ok.

Later,
Jason
 
I travel almost every other weekend doing live webcast for www.go211.com with this:

Using the Ogio Ty Video Bag 2: All is carried on the plane.
DVX 100B
DVX Batteries and Chargers
Sennheiser Lav Kit
Assortment of Batteries and recharger
Firewire Cables
USB Cables
XLR Cables
Ethernet Cable
Tape Stock
Nikon D200
Nikon 18-70
Nikon 50mm
Nikon SB-600
Nikon Sync Cable
Nikon Batteries and Chargers
Dell XPS | M1530 w/ Charger

OgioSetup.jpg


Sometimes I will carry my Bogen/Manfrotto MVB2K setup onto the plane. And sometimes I will check it depending on the actually air carrier because some will add insurance to it and some will not...like southwest! poo cause thats what I fly on the most. I will post an image up soon of what my bag looks like!
 
Last edited:
Just don't do what that producer did a few years back when the customs officials asked him what he was doing in the country and he said he was there to "shoot a pilot." Bad thing to say in an airport.

Oh man, that is good. Reminds me of when my friend was traveling to do sound on a gig. He had his shotgun mic in his carryon and the security checkpoint person asked him what it was and he replied, "My shotgun." To which he realized what that implied and quickly corrected himself with, "MICROPHONE! MICROPHONE!"
 
Oh man, that is good. Reminds me of when my friend was traveling to do sound on a gig. He had his shotgun mic in his carryon and the security checkpoint person asked him what it was and he replied, "My shotgun." To which he realized what that implied and quickly corrected himself with, "MICROPHONE! MICROPHONE!"

:laugh:

This is a good thread to ask this in:

I have an adapter for my MacBook so it works in France, the UK, and Italy. Is there a reliable adapter/surge protector for my Canon battery chargers?
 
Back
Top