Will AI make cinematographers / videographers obsolete ?

Only for impersonal content. If you are looking for a portrait of your own family, an AI generated image is not going to do you much good! In some areas AI will bulldoze some jobs, but that is if survives the looming feeding/learning material copyright battles ahead. As of right now, content houses seem to be shying away from AI content saying it has no provenance. Some lawsuits are popping up regarding not being asked about having IP feed into the machine so to speak. Could get nasty if early cases go for the plaintiff.
 
Not long ago I think you needed dozens of high quality reference photographs from all angles to "train" your AI software. Now it seems, none of that matters. Have a look at this random sample. I'm sure she used other selfies as reference, but trust me, I've seen all her pictures, they're all garbage. eLabG.jpg
 
I see what your are saying. Sort of a hybrid AI image. The reference person feeds a few photos and AI draws upon its vast data and interjects the few reference images in for good "original" end results. So the family portrait folks could upload a crappy smartphone photo of themselves and AI could turn it into a beautiful serene portrait. Yes, that does some market damage!

I guess I need to go register www.AIportraits.com Upload a few images and you can download professional portraits for a fraction of the cost! Order today...
 
I was at Salesforce's Dreamforce in SF last month and based on that event (and similar ones), I'll just say there is no doubt that more than half [easily] of videographers will be replaced in the next decade, maybe even within 5 years.

IMO, anyone still questioning it is in denial, BUTTT the better question is how and where they will be replaced because this is more challenging to pinpoint because you will still need humans for certain work.

For companies producing visuals that doesn't need the most original craft, how could anyone as a decision-maker not choose computer-generated imagery that looks just as good (or will) when everyone else will be doing the same thing.

It is an absolute no-brainer from a running-a-business standpoint and hiring a videographer will eventually be as archaic as hiring a milkman/woman.

It's still hard to believe but it will happen.
 
Norbro, what exactly at the Salesforce conference helped you draw your conclusions? Cost? Everybody will be doing it? etc...
 
I was at Salesforce's Dreamforce in SF last month and based on that event (and similar ones), I'll just say there is no doubt that more than half [easily] of videographers will be replaced in the next decade, maybe even within 5 years.

IMO, anyone still questioning it is in denial, BUTTT the better question is how and where they will be replaced because this is more challenging to pinpoint because you will still need humans for certain work.

For companies producing visuals that doesn't need the most original craft, how could anyone as a decision-maker not choose computer-generated imagery that looks just as good (or will) when everyone else will be doing the same thing.

It is an absolute no-brainer from a running-a-business standpoint and hiring a videographer will eventually be as archaic as hiring a milkman/woman.

It's still hard to believe but it will happen.

I agree with NorBro here... face replacement in a still photo is "simple" in comparison to making movies. But that doesn't mean we won't get the computing power to create movies in 3-5 years.

Just thinking out loud here - if you're producing talking head videos I think there is probably more value in using AI to save C-level people's time by making an AI version of them read a prepared transcript. The future's so bright we'll need higher SPF sunscreen.
 
I'm sure we've all seen the meme, but it goes like this. To replace creatives with AI clients will need to accurately describe what they're looking for. We're safe.

To elaborate a bit, I guess you have to ask yourself if the kind of work you do requires creativity, collaboration or originality. I feel like most of what we all do has elements of that.
 
Norbro, what exactly at the Salesforce conference helped you draw your conclusions? Cost? Everybody will be doing it? etc...

A lot (A-LOT) of companies are crazy about everything-AI, in ways that even took me by surprise...with one of the end goals being automation making as much money as possible as fast as possible with as little effort as possible (no surprise there).

Now I didn't hear anyone specifically address videographers because this not a talking point, but the bigger picture all around is pro-technology.

Of course, there are variables; will tech replace mom-and-pop's local cameraman that's been "with the family" for 25 years, no, never.

But in a faster-paced, corporate content, corporate messaging world to sell services, sell anything, where examples could be made like in the opening post (thinking tech can do "as good") where handfuls of videos will be pumped out on a daily basis (I mean, we are kind of already there with some), there will be no time to think about videographers coming in with a camera, especially if some of these applications are able to take a text script and mobile photographs of offices, employees - things - and recreate good-looking videos with them.

And any real human videos will be done by established entities via big-money contracts that will likely be a part of major national campaigns (or worldwide commercials) while the rest scramble for scraps.

But I do want to reiterate that I think more than half, not all; I still think plenty of videographers will be around, but I think most would agree that the market for job opportunities will continue to change in an unfavorable way compared to how it was 5, 10+ years ago.
 
I just read an article that some home insurance companies are contracting with an AI firm that specialize in analyzing land/property to make risk assessments about whether to insure a property/house at the level of that exact house/lot, not just for an area.
 
They could team up with the Google Maps cars and hand out real-time appraisals. If they happen to drive by on the day you are cleaning out the attic you are screwed. :)
 
Back
Top