What Software Should I learn?

Yes the Lynda Cinema 4d tutorials seem to be pretty good. It goes into detail and covers mograph and bodypaint and other extras. I just watched him make a spoon out of a square.
 
With all due respect to the pros here, maybe the original poster should be more specific about their long term goals. If you find you don't want to do 3d modeling, then any purchase is a waste.

I highly recommend Blender for those just starting out, which has a built in compositor now and with YaFray has very decent output. Since 2.42 it's had a great feature for creating liquids.

If you mainly want to do character animation and you are just starting out, good luck in any package, because it will take you a long time (after learning the software) to get any good at it.

If you find yourself enjoying and actually creating things, then you can always reevaluate your decision.
And if you need to build a render farm, the cost for blender and yafray stays the same, free.
Weakness is documentation, though the wiki site has been getting updated.

Blenderartist.org is a great place to get help.
 
Cryogenic Filmworks said:
I have heard the Maya is more film industry related while 3ds Max is more video game related. I am planning on playing around with Maya at some point, but another alternative is Cinema 4d. I've heard lots of good stuff about it.

This is very true, they used Maya for the new halo coming out this year.
Maya is generally used for 3d-animation movies ie: shrek.
C4D: Is used a lot for live action 3D ie: Spiderman 1 + 2.

Max is a very advanced program, but it deals more with planes, while Maya is as equally advanced but deals more with nurbs and splines(So ive heard.) I havent wrked with C4D. Most of my experience with 3D work is in Max, so most of what I hear is from instructors and Industry pros.

Its essentially just like any editing program: 12 different ways to do the same thing. Its all the same stuff, you just have to find what you like the most
 
While I do generally agree that user interface should play a part in application selection I think everyone has vastly underestimated the necessity of a good renderer! In fact, I would go so far as to say that you should pick an app based on what renderer you want to use. As of right now most 3D applications have approximately equivalent performance in still frames. Add motion to it though and the good renderers really stand out. The good ones are also fast which is of paramount concern when using an application in a professional environment.
 
Honestly CGI might be the only area of filmmaking where the software you choose could be a major deal. I wouldn't say that "its just a tool and how you use it" apply's as much here as it would with an NLE. Some pieces of software simply give better results no matter what. For instance, 3dsmax does awful effects like fire and explosions without an expensive plugin, Maya is great at doing those things out of the box (after learning how to do it of coarse). I think either way it does depend on what your used to but some stuff works better and faster than others simply because thats how the program has been made. The film industry uses Maya most of the time (or their own written CG programs) because of the leeway it gives and its ability to do many different things. Its ability to use scripts is #1 among other programs IMO.

Most of the stuff you see in movies, expecially when it comes to effects, requires loads of scripting, plugins, etc. to get it just right. NO one 3d package can do it all just with the software, thats pretty much impossible lol. I guess it is the tool you use and how your familiar but its how fast you can get things done that matters in the real world and most people find Maya to deliver.

- Kyle
 
Back
Top