what lens/filter was used on these photos? What lens/filter/effect should i use to...

One thing I've learnt is that having the same gear does not give you the same image. And what do you mean by indie? Promotion for independent music (which seems to have a homogenous look this days), the untreated look? I would say lens, filter and effects are not key at all to these shots. Get a book on lighting and you will get a grasp on just how much you don't know (and still won't know) by the time you've finished reading it. I've just started out myself and the first crushing blow I learnt was that being able to visualise a shot in your head doesn't even begin to help you realise it in final image. There are so many factors to control it is quite amazing. It seems there is no short cut (damn!) you've just got to get out there and start shooting. Then analyse your shots and determine what you do and don't like and try again. Generate a list of words like lighting, exposure, framing, composition and start researching and experimenting - and make sure you've got a camera in hand in the hour after sunrise and before sunset! I recommend you get a good midrange camera rather than a top of the line. Whatever you get you'll want something else once you know what you're looking for. Good luck and welcome to the money pit!:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)
 
Film.

The indie look is typically done in curves. Just raise the shadows to emulate fogged film and dial in the colors with RGB curves. BTW shadows are tinted blue green like in #6. There are also plug ins that do this.

Also, desaturated colors sometimes.

And vignettes.

Last, low contrast lighting.

Enjoy your camera!
 
Back
Top