What is your script dev process? Has it changed over the years?

I would be curious as to the script development process you all use from concept to first draft. And if it has changed over the years as you found a method that works better than what you started out using. Myself I start with concept (What if..), logline, BS2 logline, main turning points (hook, inciting, turn into II, midpoint, setback, climax/battle, death/resurrection, resolution/coda), 50 beats, expand the beats, narrative treatment, screenplay; but i have been doing a 12 page treatment, this time around I am going to try 20 pages (Goyer does 20-30, my 20 will be for an 80 page indie horror).
 
When I was starting out, after landing on a concept, I did outlines, scene cards, character bios, said my hail mary's, spread incense, organized my writing area for the 50th time, then started writing. It would usually take me a couple months to squeeze out a first draft. Then I'd curl up in a ball and cry for a while and shiver. Then I'd start rewriting. Nowdays, I just let a handful of ideas germinate and percolate in my mind, putting as little on paper as possible. When one idea reaches critical mass, I throw down a first draft as quickly as possible, working on instinct. I find with the speed comes an energy that gets on the page, and I am able to keep the pulse of my characters alive. The characters talk to me instead of me to them. Also, by not committing to a detailed outline, I don't get hung up on dumb ideas that seemed great at one time but don't really work in the moment. I discover things as I go and I like those unexpected moments. If I get in trouble, I'll stop and do some minimal outlining on paper to stay on track. Keep in mind I've usually plotted things out in my head, so it is outlined in a sense, I just haven't committed it to paper. I think the reason for this is that I want to keep the people and story alive in my head as long as possible. Once it's on paper, it's frozen in time, dead in a way. Hard to explain maybe but it's more for my benefit than anything. I'm always somewhat sad when I've finished a script, as I won't get to visit those characters and that story again. Anything I can do to delay that keeps me sane.
 
...said my hail mary's, spread incense, organized my writing area for the 50th time, then started writing.... first draft. Then I'd curl up in a ball and cry for a while and shiver....

LMAO. That is funny.
Thanks for sharing your evolved process, interesting.
r
 
My script writing process is constantly changing – it changes so much it has me baffled.

Sometimes it all comes out at once, sometimes it starts with characters, sometimes it starts with an end scene that I work towards.
And sometimes the story fizzles out and never gets finished. Never can tell.

Also just starting my first ever writing collaboration project with another writer here in Queens. New ground for me
 
Back
Top