What is the normal burn time per GB to generate blu ray discs?

kwkeirstead

Well-known member
I have a concert that runs 2.2 hours and the size of my .m2ts is 18 GB.

I have an order for 50 blu ray discs (this is the first time I have been asked to generate blu ray discs, most customers want 4.7 GB DVDs)

I burned a master blu ray using Vegas, then copied the master to a buffer folder on my PC.

My PC/burner and the particular software utility I am using took close to 6 hours to complete the burn.

My file is an .m2ts in the usual structure

BDMV
CERTIFICATE

under BDMV I see
AUXDATA/BACKUP/BDJO/CLIPINF/JAR/META/PLAYLIST/STREAM

Anyone see anything unusual here?

I can of course take my master and have it duplicated for around $5 per disc. Turnaround time is 3 days.

It's temping to send out the work because they will take a label image file and give me back discs with burned-on-labels whereas doing it myself I have to print out Avery labels and apply the labels (tedious, time consuming).

I see there are duplicator/printers at around $2,500 for a unit that can stack 20 but I don't see how I could write this off - I might not get a request for blu rays for a year when this particular customer does their annual operatic event.
 
Last edited:
Six hours seems excessive; seems like that might include transcoding time. Did you export to a Blu-ray template?

You absolutely never want to use stick-on labels. Many ink-jet printers with printable discs give excellent results (just don't get them wet).
 
Thanks, David
No more stick on labels - I will look into a printer that allows discs to be loaded for printing.
Here is a screenshot of the protocol I followed, starting with
1. image/burn in Vegas.
2. I then used a utility to do a 1:1 copy of the burned disc to a folder on my PC
3. I then used the same tool to do a 1:1 copy from my PC to a fresh empty disc.

Step 3 i.e. PC to blu ray is what took 6 hours.

Here is the command sequence
Vegas\Tools\Burn Disc\Blu-ray Disc

and the parameters that I used

Option Render Image and burn
Video format Sony AVC/MVC *.mp4, *.m2ts, *avc)
Video template (1920 x 1080 - 24p, 16 Mps video stream
Audio format Sony Wavelength (*.w64)
Audio template 48,000, 16 Bit, Stereo, PCM

Description Audio 48,000 Hz, 16-Bit, Stereo, PCM
Video 23.976 fps, 1920 x 1080 Progressive, YUV, 16 Mbps
Estimated size 15.36GB

Burn drive [D:] Pioneer BD-RW BDR-2080 1.40
 

Attachments

  • BluRayBurnScreen.jpg
    BluRayBurnScreen.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I don't use Vegas, so I can't speak specifically to that, but in general if you are going to be burning a bunch of BluRays you should create a disc image in .iso format. Burning that should only take about 20 minutes per disc. 6 hours isn't a burn, sounds more like it's an encode, image build, then burn.

Also on the subject of sticker labels, throw those in the trash now. Those labels do a couple bad things...first they tend to induce wobble when the disc is spinning since they're hard to get perfectly centered. Wobble will make the disc harder to read. Second, when put into a laptop with a slot load drive the heat from the laptop can make the adhesive come loose and then get jammed inside the drive when the disc is ejected. You don't want customers coming after you to replace their drives in their laptops!
 
Great advice... Thank you, Andrius

So, if I take my master blu-ray and use my utility to do a drive -> PC folder in .iso format, then to make copies I would indicate the .iso as a source and the drive as the target? I will try this.
 
Hmm, tried to generate a blu - ray from within DVD Architect. Could not get it to work. Works fine for DVDs, though.

I will try again.
 
Back
Top