What is the most stable PREMIERE + OSX combination?

andk

Member
I'll be doing a clean install of my 2013 Mac Pro and I'm wondering what the best combination of Premiere CC and Mac OSX is.
I've had lots of crashes over the past years with different systems and I'm trying to do it right this time.

I know that El Capitan is not an option so I'll go for Mavericks or Yosemite. What's better?
And what Premiere version? 2014, 2015?

Thanks
 
It appears to be vastly different for different people. CC2015 on Yosemite has been the best combination I've touched since CS5.5. However, several of my friends have had to stay on Mavericks 2014 to avoid crashes. It's kind of a crap shoot at this point to be honest.
 
i apologize for the newbie question but why is el capitan not an option?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions/nyc
 
i apologize for the newbie question but why is el capitan not an option?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob
smalltalk.productions/nyc

I've tried it myself and it wasn't really stable.
And I've read numerous threads on the internet that it's not really stable.


You're limiting yourself too much. The most stable is Premiere Pro and Windows 7 or 8.1. It's been years since I've had a crash on either.

I've edited a documentary on a Windows 7 + Premiere Pro system and had multiple crashes.
That's the reason I bought the Mac Pro in the hope that Premiere would be more stable.
 
My 2009 8-Core Mac Pro Nehalem 2.66Ghz with 32GB RAM and with a GTX285 running Mountain Lion is rock solid with CS6.

My 2013 (bought 2014) new Mac Pro Trashcan 6-Core 3Ghz with two D700 and with 32GB RAM running Mavericks is usable with CC2014 but has a few bugs and, annoyingly, Premier "locks up" quite often and needs re-starting (so I version save often!). Not dared try CC2015 yet.
 
I've edited a documentary on a Windows 7 + Premiere Pro system and had multiple crashes.

Did you build the system yourself? Did you install Windows yourself? Were you using an Intel CPU without built-in graphics and an nVidia GTX card? Was this a dedicated edit system without extraneous software like email, games, office and anti-virus?
 
Did you build the system yourself? Did you install Windows yourself? Were you using an Intel CPU without built-in graphics and an nVidia GTX card? Was this a dedicated edit system without extraneous software like email, games, office and anti-virus?

I built it myself. I installed Windows myself. I used a CPU without built-in graphics and a nVidia card. I was only running Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Audition on that machine.
 
One of the things folk often ignore when asking a question like this is 'how are you editing?'. Someone with 1-2 video tracks, straight cutting and no grading in unlikely to see any crashes. So they'll say their combo is rock solid. But someone using 6+ filters/effects, third party plugins, stabilising, keying, multiple tracks, etc is likely to see crashing.

Also in the years I've been using Premiere I've noticed certain combinations of filters/effects (often your preferred tools) cause crashing. Now if you don't use that particular combination, then you're unlikely to see as much crashing.

So asking a question like this means you're always going to be comparing apples with pairs with avocados with oranges with… I'm sure you get the picture
 
I built it myself. I installed Windows myself. I used a CPU without built-in graphics and a nVidia card. I was only running Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop and Audition on that machine.

That's surprising. And definitely not normal. (Whereas the vagaries of the Mac version are normal.)
 
Back
Top