What are your dream genres to work on?

jghenderson

Well-known member
Not projects per se, but genres. The kind of genre that you've always wanted to tackle.


Personally, I would love to work on:

Something hard sci-fi (along the lines of Blade Runner, Alien, Children of Men, etc.)

Monster movie

Survival film heavily focused on one character (like 127 Hours, Cast Away, etc.)



What about everyone else? Is there a particular genre that while you may not have a story for it yet, you would give anything to work in ?
 
I've got tons of films I want to make and stories to tell. All genres, really. Everything from Gladiator/Braveheart type stuff, to Space adventures.
Right now most of all though, I just want to be able to make a living.
 
* Music videos that actually pay (I love focusing on creating amazing visuals that match to music)
* Mini Documentaries (I love travelling and telling people's unheard stories)
 
Sci-fi. Always wanted to do sci-fi. That's where my heart is. But of all the films I've made, none have been sci-fi.

Jawa Ex Machina, Gladiator is one of my three favorite films. The other two being The Fifth Element and Stargate.
 
-A sweeping, semi-experimental war epic, something like Thin Red Line but...different.

-A gangster film / character study, and a dystopian future action film, both heavily French New Wave / 90s Hong Kong cinema inspired.

I'm working on a script for a short gangster film now and hope to shoot before the year is out.
 
Not projects per se, but genres. The kind of genre that you've always wanted to tackle.

I personally want to work on the revival of the X-rated Musical... someone has some what beat me to it with "Misty Beethoven: The Musical!"(2004), but I think there's more that can be done in the genre... or would it be a subgenre... (Last night watched the film of Rogers and Hammerstein's "The King and I"(1956) and what a 'fertile' field that story would be for a porn musical, and speaking of 'seraglio' settings... "Die Entfuehring aus dem Serail"(Mozart, 1782)... but I digress...).

I think the post apocalyptic porn genre has been equally under developed... the only really 'good' film was "Cafe Flesh"(1982).
 
Sci-Fi, absolutely. That is all I want to write most of the time. Unfortunately it is also by far one of the most expensive genres out there. If you plan on doing something contemporary about time travel, that can be done, however an epic space opera, forget it. I've done one sci-fi, a contemporary piece. It was nothing special.
 
I've mentioned Jodorowsky and "Holy Mountain"(1973) within the last 24 hours... uhm.... anyway, yes, the 'psychotropic substance inspired surreal genre' is a a wholly under represented genre in modern filmmaking...

That's a great description and it really is missing from the modern film experience. Those 70's movies were just freakadelic and they seem to have largely disappeared.

I am always disappointed that Jodorowsky ran out of time and money for the ending to Holy Mountain that he originally envisioned.
 
Sci-fi. Always wanted to do sci-fi. That's where my heart is. But of all the films I've made, none have been sci-fi.

Jawa Ex Machina, Gladiator is one of my three favorite films. The other two being The Fifth Element and Stargate.


I know exactly what you mean. I love sci-fi, it's what I grew up on and I think where my heart lies most. But of the 10-15 short films and music videos i've made, not a single one has even approached sci-fi. I hope I can change that sometime in the next year or so.
 
Sci-Fi, absolutely. That is all I want to write most of the time. Unfortunately it is also by far one of the most expensive genres out there. If you plan on doing something contemporary about time travel, that can be done, however an epic space opera, forget it. I've done one sci-fi, a contemporary piece. It was nothing special.

In this case the pen is mightier than the camera. There's nothing to keep you from writing the next Sci Fi classic even if you can't shoot it with a decent production value.
 
Sci-Fi, absolutely. That is all I want to write most of the time. Unfortunately it is also by far one of the most expensive genres out there. If you plan on doing something contemporary about time travel, that can be done, however an epic space opera, forget it. I've done one sci-fi, a contemporary piece. It was nothing special.

I would suggest that you watch some of the 60's TV shows like the ever eternally mentioned 'Twilight Zone', or 'Outer Limits'. However, since Harlan Ellison has written a number of short stories that were adapted and scripts for such shows, and is ever vigilant to sue a production that remotely 'sounds like' something he may have written, that would be too much of a burden for most nolo filmmakers to carry should the film ever burble up to 'being seen somewhere'.

In any case, many, many of the shows did have sci-fi as a central element, and all of them were done without an army of CGI artists.

I'm pretty sure with current digital film equipment that is typically used by people on this site, you could make a production of a sci-fi script 'easily' enough... 'easily' being that time/effort/talentavailability... etc. were... well... available...
 
With Peenemünde between Stocklholm and Berlin... you could start right now...

Or go to Detroit. It looks very post apocalyptic in some areas. I've often thought it has some great locations for a post apocalyptic film.

http://www.weather.com/travel/modern-ruins-abandoned-detroit-photos-20130715

The police don't respond in some areas for hours so no problem getting your shots without permits, but you might need to hire Blackwater to keep you safe from crackheads that want to hock your camera for 50 bucks.
 
Or go to Detroit. It looks very post apocalyptic in some areas. I've often thought it has some great locations for a post apocalyptic film.

http://www.weather.com/travel/modern-ruins-abandoned-detroit-photos-20130715

The police don't respond in some areas for hours so no problem getting your shots without permits, but you might need to hire Blackwater to keep you safe from crackheads that want to hock your camera for 50 bucks.

I was recently in Pittsburgh area and it seems to have its share of nearly 'abandoned' towns, or streets with many shuttered store fronts. It also didn't seem to me to be such that 'day shooting' would be a great security issue... Night time don't know... Unfortunately I live in the San Diego area... and there isn't really 'blocks and blocks' of closed businesses.

We of course do have large wide open deserts... but that doesn't lend to that 'abandoned post-apocalyptic urbanscape' look...
 
Back
Top