Webcam with shallow DOF

norway

Well-known member
I am looking for a DSLR/mirrorless webcam with the following features:
  • Shallow depth-of-field
  • Good AF
  • HDMI (if clean output is available/overlay can be switched off) or USB connection (if webcam drivers are stable)
I believe that this should be possible at around $500, but I don't know exactly which camera which would satisfy all of the above?

Good AF would be the Sony A-series. Maybe Panasonic, but their AF is not great. Finding a camera with great webcam drivers is almost impossible...
 
In 2020, I was using a Canon RP with an adapter via free OBS (Canon came out with their own software around that time as well).

The camera's a few hundred on eBay and there many different types of adapters out there, but this is the one I used with an old MacBook Pro (plug&play, no drivers, not sure about Windows tho).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_usb_2_0.html

(You'd obviously need the appropriate cables based on the camera/computer.)

Worth noting the AF in that camera is only good in HD (but needed to be in HD anyway for multiple reasons including no crop and for conferencing).
 
In 2020, I was using a Canon RP with an adapter via free OBS (Canon came out with their own software around that time as well).

The camera's a few hundred on eBay and there many different types of adapters out there, but this is the one I used with an old MacBook Pro (plug&play, no drivers, not sure about Windows tho).

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_usb_2_0.html

(You'd obviously need the appropriate cables based on the camera/computer.)

Worth noting the AF in that camera is only good in HD (but needed to be in HD anyway for multiple reasons including no crop and for conferencing).

Thanks for the suggestion!

It is slightly more expensive than the ideal, and it looks like I can pick up the R10 for the same price. Will do a comparison.
 
This isn't a DSLR, but may be of interest regardless (and/or for others). have been using Camo software with my iPhone to use it as a webcam and it's pretty great, all things considered. It gives you control over a lot of parameters of exposure, zoom, color shift etc. Obviously the depth of field is simulated but with the 14 Pro it's quite effective and manages hair and whatnot without the classic fringing effects. I know Apple has included the ability to use an iPhone as webcam into the system software, but I think without the fine control Camo delivers.
 
Thanks for the suggestion!

It is slightly more expensive than the ideal, and it looks like I can pick up the R10 for the same price. Will do a comparison.

I had a R10 too, nice camera for what it is (it's S35 so you'll have to be mindful of lenses).

The RP with a Canon 16mm f/2.8 would probably get you something similar for the price as the R10 and a faster/wider lens for a similar result (normally you'd sit close to a webcam but also don't have to with the right setup).
 
I had a R10 too, nice camera for what it is (it's S35 so you'll have to be mindful of lenses).

The RP with a Canon 16mm f/2.8 would probably get you something similar for the price as the R10 and a faster/wider lens for a similar result (normally you'd sit close to a webcam but also don't have to with the right setup).

I am a Canon C70 & C200 user, so I am very much in S35 land. :cheesy:
 
Sony A6300 or maybe one of the Eos M series. I can't remember if the 80D has clean output or not.

I put a hacked firmware on my Nikon D7000 that enables clean output, but the AF isn't usable, and resolution over HDMI is only 720P, which was better than the competing Canons of the day, which were VGA.
 
I once had the same question a couple of years back. What I found out you have to spend a lot of money $1,000+ and it's just not worth it. Get a nice background, set up a studio, or use an effect that digitally blurs or changes the background.

Even if you find a camera that meets the your requirements they often aren't designed to run for long periods of time without over heating.

I ended up getting Logitech Brio, it has been far more useful as dedicate web cam despite not wanting to get it.

I think this is something you have discover for yourself.
 
Has anyone tried setting up a green screen, keying out and replacing the background in OBS? It's a lot of extra effort, but I think it will yield better results than the super aggressive soft mask of the fake blur background feature built into video conferencing services.
 
I don't recall if I posted this after I built it a few years ago. A cheap teleprompter setup with an iPad and my iPhone behind it as webcam (with Camo software as I mentioned above), plus Nanlite bi-color panel. The cabling and power distribution lives inside the box. I have direct eye contact with people I'm talking to, the camera is at correct height and image looks great.

Click image for larger version  Name:	widefront small.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	5705688
 
In general I'm not a fan of background removal unless it's done right. I was just fooling around in Zoom with the virtual background. The avatar is fun too.

I'd start out with a collapsible green screen background then add lighting if needed.
For $69 you get the screen and stand. I like these for the ease of setup and break down.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...round_kit.html
 
Last edited:
I don't recall if I posted this after I built it a few years ago. A cheap teleprompter setup with an iPad and my iPhone behind it as webcam (with Camo software as I mentioned above), plus Nanlite bi-color panel. The cabling and power distribution lives inside the box. I have direct eye contact with people I'm talking to, the camera is at correct height and image looks great.


Neat! And portable. What kind of teleprompter solution are you using? (Checking out the Neweer X12 now.)
 
Last edited:
I am a Canon C70 & C200 user, so I am very much in S35 land. :cheesy:

I hav no useful info to add.. but with a C200/C70 I think an r7/10 would be good for your collection.

Modernn AF and maybe working in webcam.

I enjoy my r6 as long as im not trying to make the functions emulate my c200.
 
You can use any camera with an hdmi port and a very inexpensive capture card such as this one. https://amzn.to/45TDDBw

When I'm using zoom, google meet, microsoft teams, etc. the capture card allows you to just select your professional camera as another video source. No need for proprietary software from the camera manufacturer or any type of extra software download.
 
You can use any camera with an hdmi port and a very inexpensive capture card such as this one. https://amzn.to/45TDDBw

When I'm using zoom, google meet, microsoft teams, etc. the capture card allows you to just select your professional camera as another video source. No need for proprietary software from the camera manufacturer or any type of extra software download.

Thanks. I am using a Blackmagic ATEM Mini, so that shouldn't be a problem... :thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
Sorry, I definitely should have reviewed your original post and just answered the question you actually asked. :thumbsup:

What about an APSC/Super 35 mirrorless from Canon? There may be some used R10's or R's on the market that you could get for close to $500? You'd need to already own some fast lenses though.
 
I'm curious why you need AF for a camera that's relegated to webcam status. In most applications of webcams, people are virtually stationary, so unless your using an f/1.2 lens, I don't see the need for AF.

An old MFT camera and knockoff SpeedBooster would be a fairly inexpensive combination.
 
Back
Top