I have found the white balance on the DVX100 to be dead on according to the scopes. That being said, for ceative choices you may choose to use warming cards, but yo umight want to try the settings in the camera itself that can warm or cool as needed. It is the "color temp" setting. You can also warm and cool things off in post as well.
So how does a warming lense filter play in all of this...like a pro mist or other warming filters? I'm just trying to figure out the when to use them. Is cheating the white balance better or worse than warming filters, or just a matter of taste? I'm a little confused on application. I'm sure this is broad topic, but if you could give me some practicals, it would be great.
Well, they do make warming pro mist filters... in any case, you usually want to white balance without any filtration, because you want your filtration to have its normal effect. At least in terms of color shift, balancing with filtration neutralizes said filtration.
depends what you are calling warm.. if you are talking about a gold pro mist then sure.. but if you are talking about the tiffen warm black promists.. I think they stopped selling those along time ago because they were just horrible. That look went out in the 80s, and look like crap on digital.
In any case... if you want the warming effect...
White balance BEFORE you use it!
I use a gold reflector sometimes but only AFTER balancing to normal diffuser and white card.
Otherwise the cam balances to the changed condition and all is relative.
I have used warm cards. I like them but you can easily make your own with light blue paper. The filter they speak of is a Tiffen warm FX. It works great and really makes the colors pop as well as makes people look more pleasing.
i just saved the pics of the warm cards from the ads and threw them into photoshop, eye dropped the color and made it full page and printed them out. i find it more criminal to be charging what they are than what i am doing, and is what i am doing wrong....no clue.
Is there really a visual difference in using the warm cards with the DVX versus warming it up in post?
My logic is that once the warm look has gone to tape it is quite hard or harder to get it to where the director will like it if he requires (changes)...Damn Fickle Directors...make up your bleedin' mind will ya 8)
I don't always get to edit what I shoot, so if I want a warm look on the project, I'll warm it with a "Jungle Book" (rosco's sample gel pack, which has the whole assortment of color correction gels in it). If I want a warmer temperature, I'll put a 1/8 to 1/2 blue in front of the lens when I white balance. I worked with a crew that shot a portion of a music video sepiatone by white balancing on an old blue 1" tape cannister.