Voice Over Question

Ninjaspit

New member
Hey All,

I was wondering what the correct way was for implementing a sound voice over? I just read the Screenwriter's Bible and what I have in mind wasn't touched on. Basically, I want a beating heart to be heard to build suspense. It's not a background noise, but it's obviously not spoken. I can't think of an appropriate way to do this and don't want to use an author's intrusion. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
 
That would not be voiceover as a beating heart is not a voice. You would just write it into the narrative/action:

[scrippet]

INT. DUNGEON - NIGHT

Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory deep within the castle. Dank, lit only by a single torch hanging from the ceiling.

On a table in the middle of the room is a heart, beating louder with each beat.

DR. FRANKENSTEIN
Life! I have created life!

[/scrippet]

Lame example, but you get the idea.
 
True - but I meant using a beating heart sound as an off screen sound effect. For example if it was a character's POV, but instead of having a voice over, I was trying to write in a incorporate the sound of their beating heart. Does that make sense?

Appreciate the responses btw!
 
Ninja, I get exactly what you're going for - like the opening of Dead Man's Chest, where the image on screen is just the dark ocean, but we hear the sound of Davy Jones' heart beating.

The way that I always write things like this is simple:

John stares at the gun pointed at him.

The sound of a heart beating softly.

John breathes in slow, deep. The heartbeat intensifies.

Daniel's finger on the trigger - the heartbeat pounding now.

John blinks--

--and snaps Daniel's wrist, pries the gun away in an instant. He slams his fist into Daniel's gut, pistol whips him across the cheek. In one fluid motion, John draws down on him as he steps back. He pauses... a heartbeat...

He fires.


Hope that helps, man. Just remember to keep it simple, and don't ever use the words "we hear" or "we see." Just write what we hear or see in the order that we hear and see it.
 
Bingo - thanks Michael! I figured it should be something along those lines, but the unwritten rules always make me doubt certain attempts. Much appreciated.
 
Bingo - thanks Michael! I figured it should be something along those lines, but the unwritten rules always make me doubt certain attempts. Much appreciated.

I guess Callaghan and me will pack up our buckets and shovels and get out of the sandbox then, go home and write screenplays... :(
 
Last edited:
Back
Top