Virtual Panning in Premiere Pro CC

dylansmith

Well-known member
Hi guys,

I am trying to shoot timelapse videos using my Samsung S6 (source = 16mp DNGs) currently. As the output will be in 4k (i.e. 8mp), there is some room for me to zoom/pan an otherwise static/tripod timelapse. I understand this can be done on After Effects, but how about Premiere Pro CC?

How can this be achieved with a DNG sequence?
 
Never done it - but my first instinct would be to first bring the DNG sequence into Premiere as a single piece of motion video and then just use key-frames and positioning to zoom to where you want and pan as desired.

Unless I'm missing something obvious?
Like I said - I've never done timelapse with individual stills.
 
I think this is much easier done in After Effects but it is possible in Premiere. Import your 4k footage. Make a Comp that is smaller than 4K. Each clip has individual effects parameters. In this case you can keyframe the anchor point to pan the image. After Effects allows more precise control but definitely doable in Premiere.
 
I misread your post. You would have to make a 4k sequence and you would still have room to pan if the images are larger. I believe Premiere only imports CinemaDNG sequences. You can edit raw images in After Effects.
 
I misread your post. You would have to make a 4k sequence and you would still have room to pan if the images are larger. I believe Premiere only imports CinemaDNG sequences. You can edit raw images in After Effects.

Yes, so how do I merge the DNGs into 1 clip first (since cinemaDNG is accepted only) before using keyframes to pan the timelapse?
 
Not sure if that is possible. At the moment Premiere only supports CinemaDNG media from two Blackmagic cameras and the Odyssey7Q. Do you have After Effects? You could download a trial version and do the project there. I would also ask this question in the Premiere forum at Adobe.
 
alright - now i got DNG sequence working nicely in Premiere Pro CC. The preview looks fantastic and it can pan nicely too. The big issue now is that it refuses to compile the movie and it simply says "unknown error". I tried using different formats, bitrates, VBR/CBR but to no avail.

any idea what could be the problem?
 
Not sure what you mean by "compile the movie." Premiere Pro -exports- media based on the settings in the dialog. If it will play the video, it should be able to export it. What version of PPro are you using?

Jim
 
alright - now i got DNG sequence working nicely in Premiere Pro CC. The preview looks fantastic and it can pan nicely too. The big issue now is that it refuses to compile the movie and it simply says "unknown error". I tried using different formats, bitrates, VBR/CBR but to no avail.

any idea what could be the problem?

Two things that might work.

1. Change the filename. I had an issue with a filename with a space in it. Added an underscore instead.

2. Restart the program or the computer.
 
You might try importing your existing PPro project into a new one. That has worked for me to get around the "unknown error" when trying to export a timeline.
 
Back
Top