Value of Rebel XT?

Tony_Reyes

Well-known member
Rebel XT (no dead pixels)
Sigma 17-70mm 2.8 w/Suntek polarizer
Canon 28mm 2.8
Canon 18-55mm (Stock crap lens)



This camera is about 4 years old a believe. It's in good working condition but does have visible wear and tear. No scratches on the lenses.

What do you guys think this thing is worth? I'm considering just giving it to my brother-in-law as a present since the value of these things have plummeted.
 
Not actually knowing how worn down the camera looks, I would say the camera and stock lens is worth around 360 if you have the black version and 350 if you have the silver version.

Not sure about the other two lenses. Are they EF-S or EF? EF will be easier to sell.

The stock lens is highly under-rated. Yes its slow, cheap feeling but if you are shooting outdoor day photos (especially landscapes) its a great lens because its so damn light and low profile. I've gotten almost equally sharp photos with my stock lens as with my L series 24-70 2.8 (both at 24 and both at f9)
 
lenses rarely depreciate in value, in fact if you hang on to a lens long enough and its a sought after lens it can become almost a collectors item (like the coveted Canon 50mm 1.0L.) If your lenses are in almost perfect condition then they are pretty much worth just under what you might see them at B&H for. The biggest issue is being able to sell them. Sometimes the market is flooded with a specific lens and even though its worth xx dollars you will probably have to reduce the price if you want a sale.

I'll give you two examples. I bought 2 Canon 100mm 2.8 macro lenses from Circuit City when they were closing down...it was a great price and they were underselling it by more than $100 from amazon or B&H. I figured I would keep one and sell the other making the first one even cheaper for me. I still havent been able to sell it because the market is full of this lens. I expected this and am hoping that in about a year I will be able to sell it for the $100 profit.

The second example is with the 5D II and the 24-105 IS L lens that is being sold with the kit. A lot of people figured (and a lot of companies tried to sell the kit) by saying that you save so much money and you get the camera faster by buying the kit and you can just sell the lens. Well now the market is rediculiously flooded with the lens and the people who bought it that didn't really want the lens are hoping that this wasn't an attempt by Canon to get rid of their 24-105 inventory before a new version of the lens is released.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top