David W. Richardson
Chapelgrove Films
I know this has probably been discussed many times before, but just once more, please?
U.S. feature film screenplay conventions...
From what I've read, (O.S.) is mainly used in U.S. scripts, while (O.C.) is seen in British and other European scripts. Is that correct?
(Assuming it is for the rest of this.)
Okay, so if a person is anywhere within earshot of the scene, but not on-camera for whatever reason, then (O.S.) is used. This would include -
-a character coming up behind and surprising another character by speaking before he's seen.
-a character calling out from another room or outside a building, being heard inside.
-a character speaking through a door to another character.
All of that would be (O.S.), correct?
And from what I've read, something like a phone conversation where a person's voice is heard THROUGH the phone -- or maybe heard through something like an intercom or 2-way radio -- would be (V.O.), is that right? I've always thought (V.O.) was mainly used for voiceover narration or hearing a person's thoughts, things like that. But is it also used in this kind of phone conversation?
Looking for an authoritative answer. Thanks folks!
U.S. feature film screenplay conventions...
From what I've read, (O.S.) is mainly used in U.S. scripts, while (O.C.) is seen in British and other European scripts. Is that correct?
(Assuming it is for the rest of this.)
Okay, so if a person is anywhere within earshot of the scene, but not on-camera for whatever reason, then (O.S.) is used. This would include -
-a character coming up behind and surprising another character by speaking before he's seen.
-a character calling out from another room or outside a building, being heard inside.
-a character speaking through a door to another character.
All of that would be (O.S.), correct?
And from what I've read, something like a phone conversation where a person's voice is heard THROUGH the phone -- or maybe heard through something like an intercom or 2-way radio -- would be (V.O.), is that right? I've always thought (V.O.) was mainly used for voiceover narration or hearing a person's thoughts, things like that. But is it also used in this kind of phone conversation?
Looking for an authoritative answer. Thanks folks!