Upgrading to FCP 5.1...

Geoff_R

Veteran
Anyone here with FCP Studio find a way to upgrade to 5.1? It so far appears that I'll have to purchase an upgrade even though I just bought FCP Studio 2 months ago. I find this very irritating.
 
5.1 is just the Universal Binary with a few fixes. And it's only $50, so it's not a huge deal. If I already had FCS then I'd wait until NAB before doing any upgrades.
 
The upgrade is fairly cheap, It's more of the principle. I want 5.1 for the native 1080 24pa support with the HVX and P2. It's just crappy that they aren't issuing a 5.1 update through 'Software Update' for those who already have FCS for PowerPC chips.
 
I feel like they dump us who own the power pc.

I feel like they dump us who own the power pc.

I have only been an apple user for 8 months and now it looks like upgrades for us are gone.
 
newtodvx100a said:
I have only been an apple user for 8 months and now it looks like upgrades for us are gone.

not necessarily. if you own fcp 5, you can upgrade to the universal version for $99. this includes dvdsp, motion and soundtrack pro. think about it...only 99 bucks for those 3 additional apps...if you own fcp studio, you're only paying $49...if you don't own an intel machine, nor in need for 1080/24p support at the moment, hold back and see what's in store later this month at nab...
 
Careful about upgrading... I use a lot of plugins that are grabbed from After Effects. Those won't work if you upgrade to 5.1. Something about the Universal code. So if you are depend on some of these plugins, don't upgrade just yet.

CaptM
 
CaptainMench said:
Careful about upgrading... I use a lot of plugins that are grabbed from After Effects. Those won't work if you upgrade to 5.1. Something about the Universal code. So if you are depend on some of these plugins, don't upgrade just yet.

CaptM

I forgot about all my plugins! Maybe switching to Intel is a bad idea for me... hmmm... should I just get a Quad???

I don't fancy splashing out on new versions of all me other software too, like photoshop.
 
For anyone on the verge of upgrading, keep in mind we have till December of this year to upgrade (according to the forms on Apple's site). 'IF' FCP 6 is released at NAB or soon after, the upgrade/crossgrade offer might extend to FCP 6. It might be more $ than upgrading now to FCS 5.1, but also might be cheaper than upgrading from 5.1 to 6 in the future.
 
Well, since there isn't going to be anything from Adobe for a while, upgrade if you want to but do keep in mind that NAB is only a few weeks or so away and FCP 6 is highly expected to be on display.
 
Back
Top