Upgrade to maverick or wait?

wildstriker

Active member
I currently have a macbook pro (2010/2011 model) and I'm reluctant to update my current mac os (10.6.8) to os x maverick because some editing programmes require higher than 10.6.8. But I've hear a lot of bad things about it. But on the other hand, I've heard some users have had no problems with it.

I'm kind of scared to download it now.

Has Apple solved the issues yet and is it now fine to download maverick or should I wait for the next os update?

Thanks.
 
Unless you're in the middle of a project you're probably OK. Just remember to back everything up so if somethings goes south you can revert back to your current install.
 
I currently have a macbook pro (2010/2011 model) and I'm reluctant to update my current mac os (10.6.8) to os x maverick because some editing programmes require higher than 10.6.8. But I've hear a lot of bad things about it. But on the other hand, I've heard some users have had no problems with it.

I'm kind of scared to download it now.

Has Apple solved the issues yet and is it now fine to download maverick or should I wait for the next os update?

Thanks.

I've been using Mavericks since it came out, on my 'new' Mac Book Pro. I have had no problems with my Adobe products that I can attribute to Mavericks...

For an older Mac, I upgraded the Wife's Mac, and her greatest problem has been certain changes that the OS has made to windows and such things as 'scroll bars', which she really did not like. But as for Photoshop working, which is her main tool, there have been no problems.
 
I have a couple of "time locked" macs here. The reason is that a new OS will always knock out some obscure program or plug in that I depend on for post work. It's so hard to figure out which one is going to get hosed until you need it. At the same time, there are so many new programs and updates that won't run on anything but the latest OS version. Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.
If you're running a pretty straight forward setup and only using current software, you shouldn't have too many issues, or any issues at all.
One thing you can, and should do is to make a complete clone of your boot drive before updating. That way if things go sideways you can just copy it back like nothing ever happened.
 
Back
Top