Two questions for Walter Graff

sdjames

Active member
Walter,

I was following your advice in your DV.com article about your light kit (http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.jhtml?category=Archive&LookupId=/xml/feature/2004/graff0404) and was trying to make up a longer cord for my Lowell Omni Lights. You mentioned using a heavy duty "arri type" switch. Where did you come across such a switch?

Also, I am trying the "grafflight" with a T5 fixture and found a phillips replacement bulb with a 3000K temp and 85 CRI. It looked good to me, but am I going to find a hidden problem because the CRI is below the what, 92 CRI threshold?
 
Re: Two questions for Walter Graff

"  You mentioned using a heavy duty "arri type" switch.  Where did you come across such a switch?"

I'll find out where you can get them.

"Also, I am trying the "grafflight" with a T5 fixture and found a phillips replacement bulb with a 3000K temp and 85 CRI.  It looked good to me, but am I going to find a hidden problem because the CRI is below the what, 92 CRI threshold?"

85 should be good. Best way to know is to put someone front of the camera and light them with it and see. Folks think that flouros need to be 92+ to be good, but all you need is 85CRI and a pice of 1/8th minus green wrapped around it and you've got 100CRI.
 
Re: Two questions for Walter Graff

Thanks, that's great. I've got 1/8 minus green around here somewhere.

I'll look forward to finding a source for the switches.
 
Re: Two questions for Walter Graff

Walter,

I'm looking into doing a fluorescent kit myself, I think I'll use some fluorescent bulbs (Philips 40watt T-12, 3000k, 3250 lumens, 85 CRI).

You mentioned that a 1/8 minus green filter with a bulb of 85 CRI would make it 100 CRI. What about a 1/8 minus green fluorecent sleve? Would that be the same thing?

Here is the link to the sleeves I'm talking about:
http://www.leefilters.com/LPARCF.asp?PageID=450
 
Re: Two questions for Walter Graff

The question is do you need it. 85 CRI is often good enough for video. One has to see if they like it, but if you want to add a bit of warmth back the 1/8th in tube or sheet works great
 
Re: Two questions for Walter Graff

CRI=color rendering index, a scale that measures how accurately the lamps reproduce the full spectrum of light.
 
Re: Two questions for Walter Graff

Every fluorescent has aCRI. The best way to find it is to look up the modle number on the company website and they will publish the CRI. Normally 5500k lamps have higher CRIs (85-95) and lower color temperature lamps have lower CRIs as its more difficult to make lower kelvin lamps with higher CRIs so you have to look harder.
 
Back
Top