Truby's "The Anatomy Of Story"

Ted Spencer

Veteran
Really enjoying this book. Only about a quarter through it so far but it already seems destined to become one of my favorites of the many I've read. I also think I'll be reading it *at least* a second time. It's deep...

:thumbsup:
 
I've read Truby's book many times over and have used his 22 steps along with his other tools. I find it helpful.

You might also find Jeff Kitchen's Writing a Great Movie, to be another insightful read. Jeff has a great appreciation for the cinematic story experience. Paul Lucy's book Story Sense is also another good read filled with refined insight. It might be my favorite.

These are a few I keep around.
 
Good question. I'd say yes, because it's great fundamental info about storytelling. But it would never be described specifically as a 'beginner's book'. That might be Syd Field's "Screenplay" or perhaps better, "The Screenwriter's Bible" by David Trottier. Having said that though, I do wish I'd read Truby's book a lot earlier on. He makes many great points that others haven't (I've read a lot on the subject) and organizes the material extremely well.

In general I find I take away certain things from each of the books I've read, while admitting that I rarely follow 'to the letter' prescriptions for study in them (exercises, etc.). What I'm taking away from this book seems invaluable to me so far. I've found a number of the books I've read to be pretty information-light, but not this one. Not by a long shot. So again, I wish I'd read it earlier...

Hope this helps answer your question : )
 
Back
Top