Tripod bowl dimensions question.

BillWojo

Active member
Well, I just received an O'Conner model 35A tripod that I won on Ebay. It is supposed to be a 4" bowl but I'm not sure. I have an O'Conner model 30 fluid head that I'm rebuilding if I ever get the fluid. Problem is the fluid head came with a Mitchel mount (flat plate with a pin) and I don't have a 4" ball to try on it. When I talked to the tech at O'Conner he mentioned that he thought the early model 35A were made for a larger ball. You can tell the early models as they have the top bowl casting made to look like a spider web, kinda cool. So I measured the top diameter of the bowl and its 4.75 inches. Hmmm, is this a problem? Could you folks that have a 4" bowl tripod get me a quick measurement? It would be something to compare with.
I'm also looking for a claw ball that I can modify to fit my fluid head if this turns out to be a non issue.
Thank you for reading all this.
Bill Wojo
 
Nobody here has a tripod with a 4" (100mm) bowl? Just a quick measurement across the top of the bowl is all I need.
Thanks
Bill Wojo
 
Well, I finally resolved my problem. Seems the bowl is not 4" or 100mm but is actually 120mm. I contacted the seller and he had the matching O'Connor model 30B fluid head with 120mm balll that he sold to me cheap. It's missing the plate and pan handle if any one has a spare to sell. Best news is that the head needs no servicing, super smooth and in excellent shape! Drag is adjustable from almost nothing to firm. Can't wait to use it.
Bill Wojo
 
Last edited:
Back
Top