Trailer of the upcoming documentary "In the Moment"

Hmm. Here's just a bunch of "in the moment" reactions:

- powerful stuff
- beautifully shot
- love the music
- not quite clear on what exactly is being documented, though. the old man, the people and places he's seen? this woman and her relationship with her daughter? is she related to the man somehow? is it just a portrait of ALL the various people and places of the land?
- a bit longer than it needs to be, especially considering the above... as it goes on I have less and less of an idea what I'm watching, and therefore less and less desire to see the whole movie.
- I think the titlecards are a big part of the problem. At first they start out evocative and intriguing, but they never tie everything together, which is the power they have here... to give sense and place to all of these disparate stories and images.

There you have it. I really liked a lot of what I saw, and the overall mood and tone. But the trailer lost me, once I realized I had no idea what I was watching.
 
you've provided a glimpse at what seem to be some amazing stories. great material, use of music, and well shot. my suggestion would be setting some context and stakes.

I would put the "Experience Life outside the Bubble" card at the front of the trailer and then find a way to put a stronger emphasis at the end on the question of what difference one person can make (with b-roll, more quotes, screen time and music).

cool stuff and would like to see things as they develop.
 
wow...2 posts! Thanks dougspice and JY for answering.

Great suggestions, definitely think about that.

I meant this edition of the trailer to give an impact, showing more the nice shots as opposed to let the viewer understand what the film is really about. I really wanted it to be subjective and to let that question in the air. But I really think I have to cut off 1 min or so of it...it is too long. And maybe play around a bit more with the cards too.

Thanks guys...

...hope for comments and suggestions from others...
 
Im with dougspice, I was totally intrigued by the trailer as a whole, it was beautifully shot, the sound and b-roll were great together, and it looks like a totally beautiful film, but I am still unsure as to what it's actually about. I think the other factors are great, bu you need a little more direction as far as your subject and focus. THat's just my two cents, but yes, aesthetically, I thought it was beautiful......
 
The music works well. The footage looks very nice. A tease is one thing - and this does intrigue - but it needs a little more direction towards what it's about. I think as a doc you need to spell it out more than say an action movie or horror film. Even a comedy can get away with a trailer that doesn't tell you what it's about. But, I believe Doc viewers are often attracted by the story and subject matter and its important to put more of that in the trailer.

What camera did you shoot this with? What was your set up? Looks like it was a lot of handheld (nice looking handheld). How about lighting for interviews?? it looks very natural - just curious because I'm just starting to shoot a doc of my own.
 
Tumbleweed

Shooting took place during a 60 day trip through 32 cities of the northeast region of Brazil. I shot everything with a mic mounted on the camera and used a wireless kit for a few interviews. Ninety per cent of it was handheld. Natural lighting for 90% and Varizoom Leds mounted on the dvx as well.

The documentary is about that journey I took with my girlfriend, the people I met along the way and the various kinds of different situations that were captured in the moment to build a portrait of a world outside the bubble we, as first world capitalists, live in. The crew was formed by only my girlfriend and I, and we didn't have a plan whatsoever in regards of finding our subjects for filming. We just hit the road and stayed positive that we would meet people that would like to share their stories, and be in the right place at the right time to capture everything else.
 
Excellent looking footage! Looks like you met some amazing characters. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing. By the way, what shotgun mic did you end up using on the camera?
 
I used a senheiser me66. I do not recommend it if you're mounting on the camera, though. The mic is too long and since you're gonna have to cover it with a rycote softie, the edge of it will be showing on the upper right corner of your image. You end up having to get the zoom on a little bit all the time to avoid that.
 
Last edited:
The documentary is about that journey I took with my girlfriend, the people I met along the way and the various kinds of different situations that were captured in the moment to build a portrait of a world outside the bubble we, as first world capitalists, live in.

I agree totally with what Dougspice said. However after reading the above comment I would ask, is the movie "really" about you and your girlfriends journey?
If it is then do you have any footage of your girlfriend interacting with these people?
Maybe that could help tie the story together a little and allow the viewer to get a bit more of a sense of what the Doc is about. As it stands I did not get a sense of this having anything to do with you or your girlfriend's journey.
It sounds like it was an amazing trip. A great human interest story, with some beautiful footage.
 
I used a senheiser me66. I do not recommend it if you're mounting on the camera, though. The mic is too long and since you're gonna have to cover it with a rycote softie, the edge of it will be showing on the upper right corner of your image. You end up having to get the zoom on a little bit all the time to avoid that.

Looks very cool. I'm anxious to see the whole thing.

So, yeah - I saw your rycote softie in the shot of the kids running alongside the camera! I had the same problem, but found that if my me66 was mounted on the camera using a suspension shock mount, I could pull the back end down (thereby raising the front) and secure it to the handle at the top of the camera with a velcro cable tie. Either that or I just started mounting the mic with softie on the top level of a tri-mount and that kept it well out of the way of the lens.

But, anyway - very nice work.
 
my one comment, the first few shots are very first person. But then the one title reads "the people that crossed his way" Instead, i might suggest wording it "the people that crossed my way" becasue the thrid person text and first person handheld style do not mix. I'm not sure whose story it is. Hope that makes sense. Other then that, it looks great. I would love to see a longer version.

andrew
www.andrewdavidwatson.com
 
Back
Top