To block shadows but not cast (C4D)

djembeplay

Well-known member
Is there a way to have an object block the shadows of other objects, but not cast a shadow it's self?

Here is an example image:

shadowexample.jpg


I want to be able to have the cube block the shadow of the cone, but not cast a shadow it's self. I was able to do it in AE via multi-pass, but it took a bunch of steps...
 
Hey try a compositing tag on the cube. Check receive shadows and uncheck cast shadows? I think that will do it.
 
Hey triple- I seem to only be able to omit the shadow of the cube by using the compositing tag. If I do this, the full shadow of the cone remains on the ground, despite the presence of the cube...

I want to be able to block the shadow of the cone on the ground where the cube shadow normally blocks it... To put it another way, I want the area of the shadow of the cube to be illuminated by the light as if there is no shadow there...
 
Ya, I know it... tough cookie.

The only reason I need to do this is because I'm playing around with camera mapping... There is this image that I want to be blocked by an object, but the object already has a shadow from the original photograph... if that makes any sense.

Here are some renders I just did to help people understand what I'm talking about:

Scene with normal shadows:

coneshadowtest2normal.jpg


Scene with 'cast shadows' unchecked in a compositing tag on the cube:

coneshadowtest2comptag.jpg


Scene rendered via multi-pass and composited in AE to achieve desired effect:

coneshadowtest2AEMPFinal_00000.jpg




So, what I'm wondering is if anybody knows if there is a way to achieve directly in C4D the same sort of shadow blocking as is in the last picture.

I mean, ya, I could keep using AE, but it takes quite a bit of steps for what otherwise might be a simple click or two in C4D for all I know.

Thanks.

Oh ya... I think the white rim outline on the objects in the last photo is an effect of working with low-res mattes. It doesn't matter though as the whole purpose of the renders is to illustrate what I am talking about in regards to the shadows.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top