Thoughts on this opening sequence

Hey thanks guys for these new comments...I actually had forgotten I posted this here. This was actually one of the first attempts I ever made at script writing, and in some ways its almost embarrasing to read through now :)

It was one of those things where I had this image in my head and I couldn't get rid of it. Once I finally sat down and wrote out what you read, the image stopped pestering me. I'd like to someday write the rest of the story, but at the moment I just don't know where it's going.

brianluce - yea, it really should be slimmed down considerably. When I wrote that originally I was still learning just how much "description" was really necessary. It's the kind of writing you can get away with once you are an established writer, but probably wouldn't do well if trying to sell a script.

The bit about the alien language and the computer speaking English was never fully settled. The direction I was trying to head was that it wasn't REALLY an alien, but someone from Earth. I had ideas of something along the lines of the show 7 Days, where a guy goes back 7 days in the past to stop bad situations from happening....that's also why I have the Sec. of Def. mention that the cosmonauts saw American Flags on whatever struck the space station - implying it was the UFO (because of the collision it had earlier).

Anyway, I still don't have a story for this...but I'd love to finish it one day. Thanks for resurrecting this iSTy it wsa fun to see it again and to get some fresh feedback on it.

Peace,
Larry
 
one thing peculiar to my style of conceptualizing is to visualize the ending first and then work backwards. it's really the only way i can complete a story. for a wild idea, maybe you'll find your story if the sequence you posted is an ending, not a beginning. esp in that it's a time travel story.
 
There's really a fine line when telling a story concerning how much description to put in. I feel, especially when writing things I'm going to produce myself, I want a good read. It may be a little more than the bare bones that the current wisdom asks for but I find that if you have an interesting read, it helps your director and actors visualize the story you're trying to tell. I'm not saying to go crazy but a well told story will be a page turner. It is important to have an internal clock so you can basically write to the page/minute standard in order to make it easier for production.

From my point of view, you have to write an interesting story to get others interested in it. That sometimes requires a little more than bare bones.
 
Blaine said:
I'm not saying to go crazy but a well told story will be a page turner.
.

well, from my pov, if you can write a pageturner, screw all the rules, the format, everything. for me, the word "pageturner" is the magic key, it opens doors to hollywood, to wherever. it's the rarest of traits, the hardest thing to pull off. if you can do it, i'm jealous.
 
Back
Top