Thinking about using Adobe Story

moogs

Member
I'm thinking about using Story because of the ability to keep my scripts in the cloud and accessible from multiple computers. I feel kind of paranoid with keeping my scripts online like that though. Does anyone else have these privacy concerns or am I just being a little too over protective?
 
I use Adobe Story sometimes. It's OK but not quite as good as Final Draft for me. I do like the whole "write in your web browser" thing though.

Once this year it completely glitched out for a few days on me and everything I wrote disappeared and was replaced by their default project. That was scary as heck.

So... make regular local backups. I was doing that anyway but my regularity of backing up certainly increased after that!

I also just moved over to doing outlines etc in Google Docs.

I can't wait for one of those new screenwriting apps that use the Fountain text / screnplay format to come in a web version and then we can just use that instead with Google Drive or whatever.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
 
Once this year it completely glitched out for a few days on me and everything I wrote disappeared and was replaced by their default project. That was scary as heck.

In FD? That exact same thing just happened to a writing friend of mine .. what version of FD are you using and what machine and OS are you using it on? thx

Cheers.
 
I rather doubt the Adobe Story cloud data would be much of a hacker target. A more likely problem would be site unavailability or data corruption - does Story allow you to additionally save to another destination (in particular, a different cloud location? Saving to more than one place would seem the safest idea.
 
I rather doubt the Adobe Story cloud data would be much of a hacker target. A more likely problem would be site unavailability or data corruption - does Story allow you to additionally save to another destination (in particular, a different cloud location? Saving to more than one place would seem the safest idea.

No, I think you can only use Adobe's cloud. Would be nice to use it with other services too tho.
 
Could-shmoud, I hate the whole cloud shebang. I use ether my desktop or my laptop for writing and not "every computer on the planet" - I don't like the idea to have to be online all the time, just to use your program. I like to use my laptop on a plane, in a train, in a mountain cabin and in foreign countries without paying a fortune for internet roaming or depend on lousy, unreliable WIFI in hotels.

Cloud is nice as an option, but not if you HAVE to use it.

Screenplays are a joke datawise anyway - one or two for backup or transporting from computer to computer can do the trick.
 
Could-shmoud, I hate the whole cloud shebang... I like to use my laptop on a plane, in a train, in a mountain cabin and in foreign countries without paying a fortune for internet roaming or depend on lousy, unreliable WIFI in hotels... Cloud is nice as an option, but not if you HAVE to use it.

There are two versions of Story - one is Free, the second is Plus - you pay $10/month - http://www.adobe.com/products/story-plus/features.html

With Plus you also get Story desktop. You can anything you wrote about with Story desktop. I am using Story, and it has its own things as well as format - you may like it or not, but it's a robust application. The real beauty of Story is that it allows for very efficient collaboration. As far as security concerns - not more not less than when you access your bank account using Internet or use your credit card buying stuff on Amazon. And yes, you need to backup.
 
The Plus version does look more appealing, especially those offline features - presuming you do enough script writing to justify the monthly fee.
 
I'm thinking about using Story because of the ability to keep my scripts in the cloud and accessible from multiple computers. I feel kind of paranoid with keeping my scripts online like that though. Does anyone else have these privacy concerns or am I just being a little too over protective?

The more I do this, the more I seem to rely on good ol' pen and paper. And when the whole thing's worked out in my head, I'll format it out using the software.

I think using the software makes you feel like you're writing, when, actually, i'm more efficient working it out in my head in the shower etc.
 
Back
Top