Other: The Sony ILME-FX6V Owners Club

Anyone using the Sony FE 24-105 OSS G lens? and if so how do you like it?

I find the 28-135 covers a good range but is not quite wide enough for indoor shots.

Sonyalpharumors.com is reporting that Sony will announce a lot of video-oriented gear this year, including power zoom lenses. I don't know what they will be or when they'll come out but it might be worth waiting to see. They're supposed to release a couple new FX cameras in the first half of the year and I wouldn't be surprised if they simultaneously released a new midrange zoom.

I have one and I avoid using it as much as I can. It feels like a middle-of-the-road industrial lens. It's not sharp enough. It's not wide enough. It's not telephoto enough. And f/4 isn't fast enough. A boring lens that is made for people (such as schools, military, etc.) who just want something that kinda covers some middle ground so they might not have to change lenses as often. That's my 2 cents. I'm sure other people love it.

This is sort of a puzzling response because it doesn't address the use cases he might need it for or suggest an alternative. Based on your other posts, I think your solution would be to use a 2/3-type sensor camera and a high-end lens with a large zoom range. But assuming that he needs to do it with an fx6, what would the alternative be?

I use primes 99% of the time now, but I still use zooms when I need to reframe instantaneously. And the main consideration of lens choice then will always be what zoom range I need. I have the 28-135 and I don't think it's very pretty but I've used it in ENG and livestream situations.

If he wants a full-frame zoom, especially one in E mount, then he's not going to find a lens that's wider, longer, faster, and better optical quality than the 28-135. You can probably only achieve 2 of those objectives. But he didn't complain about the aperture or optical quality or telephoto reach of the 28-135 so it's probably safe to assume that it's an acceptable benchmark for his purposes in those categories.

I haven't used the 24-105 so I can't evaluate it. My opinion is that 24mm is wide enough for most purposes. But if 28mm isn't wide enough for you then 24mm might not be either because it's not that different. If you can afford to switch lenses for your wide shots, you could supplement the 28-135 with an ultra wide prime or zoom. Sony also makes a 20-70 f/4 but them you're losing quite a lot of telephoto reach.

I find the 28-135 covers a good range but is not quite wide enough for indoor shots.

I use the 24-105 a lot and it find its range and versatility good for R & G work. I just wish it was a little faster, but I also use a Tamron 28-75 2.8 and I miss that 4mm on the wide end...

Sonyalpharumors.com is reporting that Sony will announce a lot of video-oriented gear this year, including power zoom lenses. I don't know what they will be or when they'll come out but it might be worth waiting to see. They're supposed to release a couple new FX cameras in the first half of the year and I wouldn't be surprised if they simultaneously released a new midrange zoom.

Abe, I just sold my fx6, so I'm anxious to see what Sony has up its sleeve re: a new fx camera. I'm hoping it's not an fx9II which I have zero interest in...

Thanks for the feedback.

I came from the camcorder world (Canon XF) and shoot 99% handheld. I would not go back to something without eVND and some form of image stabilization. I'm also not sure about going back to a smaller sensor as the image quality of the FX6 is much better than the XF.

I'm also perfectly happy with the quality, versatility, PZ, and OSS on the 28-135 F4 on the FX6... with the exception that it is not wide enough when indoors. I can always crop in or even just walk forward at the tele end but I can't walk back through a wall or crop out. I'm kind of sold on some form of OSS given we don't have IBIS (and think stabilization in post looks weird).... but Sony seems to have dropped OSS on all their new lens less than 70mm I'm and I'm not buying a Burano to get IBIS and eVND!

At a Christmas party I was filing a Magician on the Zeis 16-35 F4 OSS, and going between tight shots of his hands and wide shots of him and the "volunteer" from the Audience. I found I was maybe at 20mm at the widest, but 35 was not tight enough for the close in from where I was standing. I "think" 24-105 would have been ideal for this.

I would prefer something that does start wider but every bit helps and it seems 24mm is where these start. Just tested and 24mm vs 28mm gives me an additional 1m of horizontal coverage in a mid sized room.

I'm also tracking the rumors of new bodies and lens so I'll not be purchasing yet. Will see on that as I do like what Canon has done with the RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z. Fast, PZ & Stabilized!

Somehow, I just missed that the 24-105 F4 OSS was in their lineup hence the question.

This is sort of a puzzling response because it doesn't address the use cases he might need it for or suggest an alternative.

What's puzzling about it? He asked about a specific lens and I gave him my opinion of THAT lens, which I happen to own. End of story. He did not ask about camera advice or alternative lenses. But since you brought up the subject, I will talk about what I have found works for me with my FX6 and A1. I have four lenses that basically covers 99% of everything I shoot with those two FF cameras:

Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 G Lens
Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM II Lens
Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II Lens
Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens

That's all I need. Nothing else for 99% of any situations I encounter. My philosophy is to invest in some good high-quality FF AF lenses that I actually enjoy shootig with, rather than trying to cover a lot of bases with one or two mediocre slow lenses that aren't really good at anything.

If someone wants to shoot with a FF or S35 camera, then they must also accept the need/hassle/burden of doing frequent lens changes. The two go hand-in-hand. If someone wants a one-lens covers everything shooting style, then they should choose an ENG camera instead ,and they will be much happier for makign that decision. The Z280 is a great alternative to a FF camera with a slow crappy lens.

Last edited:
For those who shoot in HD for broadcast, I use the 24-70 2.8 for many things. For example, I’ll shoot live shots with it, and when I have to shoulder it and get a little more range I use the clear image zoom. It becomes a 24-105 because you lose no quality if you’re shooting in HD.

If someone wants to shoot with a FF or S35 camera, then they must also accept the need/hassle/burden of doing frequent lens changes. The two go hand-in-hand. If someone wants a one-lens covers everything shooting style, then they should choose an ENG camera instead ,and they will be much happier for makign that decision. The Z280 is a great alternative to a FF camera with a slow crappy lens.

Thanks for elucidating

Abe, I just sold my fx6, so I'm anxious to see what Sony has up its sleeve re: a new fx camera. I'm hoping it's not an fx9II which I have zero interest in...

If I had to guess, I would guess that they'll release an fx9mk2 and an fx3mk2 this year. But your guess is as good as mine. It's also possible that they will have only one successor to the fx9 and fx6.

I still have an fs7 as well as 3 mirrorless cameras. I've thought about this and I don't think I really need to upgrade the fs7 based on how and when i use it. But i will get whatever the fx3/a7siii successor is and that will become my A mirrorless camera and I'll keep the other 3 I already have.

If I had to guess, I would guess that they'll release an fx9mk2 and an fx3mk2 this year. But your guess is as good as mine. It's also possible that they will have only one successor to the fx9 and fx6.

I still have an fs7 as well as 3 mirrorless cameras. I've thought about this and I don't think I really need to upgrade the fs7 based on how and when i use it. But i will get whatever the fx3/a7siii successor is and that will become my A mirrorless camera and I'll keep the other 3 I already have.

I just bought an fx3, but if they release an fx3II I'll probably return it depending on what new features it has. Evnd would be nice. but I doubt it in such a small body. I would be happy with 6K, false color and shutter angle.

I just bought an fx3, but if they release an fx3II I'll probably return it depending on what new features it has. Evnd would be nice. but I doubt it in such a small body. I would be happy with 6K, false color and shutter angle.

I'm sort of expecting it would have 6K and the latest AF and IBIS improvements. They have improved their IBIS substantially in the most recent camera releases.

I think you can get false color through their monitor and control app? I get it through the 3rd party Monitor+ app. but either way you need to tether to a phone.

I'm sort of expecting only minor incremental changes to any of the new FX cameras. They were already selling well as they were.

Yeah, the fx3/6 are selling like hotcakes. I don’t suppose they have much reason to reinvent the wheel with whatever comes next. I do hope they continue to improve their color science. You have to do a lot more work to finesse the images whereas BM is pretty pleasing straight out of camera (with a LUT thrown on)

I still shoot with my 9 year old FS7 with the SONY 18-110. I recently completed a 12 day shoot in machine shop that has been in the same family for over a hundred years. There was a century of grime and dirt on everything including the expansive old glass windows. The windows were like a huge silk when the sun shone otherwise the place was dim and dirty. I thought seriously about getting the FX6 for its low light advantage over the FS7 but this is a self funded film and I just could not justify the expense. I shot over 18 hours of footage and 95% of it was handheld. I have to say that I am impressed with how good the log footage looks using the FS7 with 18-110. I tried using a fast 16mm prime but the versatility of the zoom was essential. This old horse, including me at 80, still has some life left in it.

I have the 24-105 and I've used the 28-135 in the past.

The 24-105 is not going to win any prizes for speed, sharpness, or character, but it is a perfectly serviceable—and solid—zoom lens that covers a decent range. I also find it to be notably sharper than the copy of the 28-135 I was using (although that was on an Fs5).

A 24-70 f2.8 may be adequate for your needs, but if you want a little more reach and are willing to sacrifice a stop of light then the 24-105 is the best FF option out there. It's not great, and odds are it's nobody's favorite lens, but it is absolutely viable as a workhorse that can cover a fair bit of ground and scenarios.

There is just not that much choice if you want OSS in the mid range teles that go wider than 28mm, and they are all old designs. There seems to be:
- FE 24-105mm F4 G OSS (this is the one I asked about)
- FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS (which I have and it is not a good lens)
- Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS (no idea on this one, but could be an option)

3rd Party Maybe?

The Sony 24-105 is so useful and it's better than it has any right to be for a prosumer zoom of that era. Still, I don't need to view high-res stills at 100% to see that it's not at the level of Sony's recent primes (understandably) like the 20mm f/1.8G. It's noticeably weaker in terms of colour, contrast, pop.

For video, the 70-200 2.8 ii can certainly hold its own against primes and I assume the new 20-70 f/4 and 24-70 f/2.8 can as well. I wish there was a contemporary-quality Sony mid-range zoom with OSS to replace it, or one to augment it at the wide end.

- 20-70 f/4 OSS - this would be great but is almost certainly not coming, unless they make a PZ version.
- An updated 24-105 f/4 OSS. This is probably coming. Hope it's stellar.

Last edited:
I'm also tracking the rumors of new bodies and lens so I'll not be purchasing yet. Will see on that as I do like what Canon has done with the RF 24-105mm f/2.8L IS USM Z. Fast, PZ & Stabilized!

I wouldn't hold my breath for Sony to do a 24-105 f/2.8. Maybe it will happen. But Canon has had their 28-70 f/2 out for a while and Sony hasn't followed suit. Those are big, heavy lenses whereas Sony's approach is lightweight and compact lenses. I'm expecting something more like an update to the 24-105 and/or 28-135 with PZ and OSS. But hey who knows. Whatever they come out with should be awesome because all their high-end lenses have been stellar for the past few years. Their updated 24-70 GM and 70-200 GM look so much better than the first versions, and they're smaller and lighter to boot.

Last edited:
Yeah, the fx3/6 are selling like hotcakes. I don’t suppose they have much reason to reinvent the wheel with whatever comes next. I do hope they continue to improve their color science. You have to do a lot more work to finesse the images whereas BM is pretty pleasing straight out of camera (with a LUT thrown on)

There was a rumor that the next version of the fx3 might have a separately available EVF like the BM 6k pro. That would make sense to me and money for them.

I like the color out of the fx3 if you're using "Movie" color matrix, which is the same color you get when shooting in standard with the picture profile turned off.

There was a rumor that the next version of the fx3 might have a separately available EVF like the BM 6k pro. That would make sense to me and money for them.

I like the color out of the fx3 if you're using "Movie" color matrix, which is the same color you get when shooting in standard with the picture profile turned off.

Thanks for the tip... It would also be great if Sony put open gate into the fx3. Besides color science that was one of the few things I liked about the BMCC 6K the short time I owned it...

Back