The Basic Setup

alpi69

Veteran
Ok, first project is done. I got my feet wet. Now it is time to set this baby up properly.
Here is my idea so far (as I used or use it with SpeedRazor and Liquid)

Disk C = System
Disk D = Programmes and Programme Update Files
Disk C and D are one disk with 2 partitions

Disk F = Grafx, Music and Project Files and other stuff (Office files, Export directory for streaming files etc). This disk gets backed up onto DAT regularily.

Disk V = RAID 0 with Videofiles. I have a diretory called Video (in it a dir for every project) and a dir called RENDER (where the software should drop all render files).


So basically I plan to have the project and music on F, the video and the render files in V.
But I can´t find a way to tell Edius to put render files into V. It seems it wants to put them in its own project directory. So to take advantage of my RAID i need to put the project with all its content onto the RAID?

How do you guys protect your project files. Not the P2 stuff, but the EDL and project as such.
 
Hey,

Edius recommends you to NOT use the system partition for the projects(in your case physicly no difference between c and d..)

I got a system HDD and a Raid 5(to have at least a minimum of safety if one HDD dies..well its all backed up in the same folder order to replace in case on external HDDs...id like to get a Quantum LTO ths year if possible..) and thats also where i put the EDIUS folder for the projects...i am not sure if you can adrees this seperated, but i gues Edius always puts the weveform-and rendered files in the directory where it finds the project, so i would recommend you in any case to chancge the directory to disk V...!
 
I have the projects NOT on the system disk. They are now on the F, which is another disk. So now it is not on the sysdrive and not on the V drive(s). But I will change that and back the whole dir up then. Makes it even easier.....as long as the RAID-0 survives.
 
Ok, one more question just to make sure I am set basically like I should be:
When I drag in the directories from my USB-OTG drive there is one Contents dir in my bin for each card and in that again are several directories: Clip, Video, Audio, Icon.
I then use the files in the CLIP dir to edit.
Or is there a way to avoid all those directories?
 
Not sure what you are talking about..

all the folders are the P2-MXF. file structure(audio, video and so on), i would suggest you to put one individual folder (lets say "Card_01" and so on)for each card you copy to your HDD...this way you keep the whole file structure and metadata, keep te "Lastclip"s without mixing them up, and when you want to import it into edius, you just do "P2select", select the folder above the individual "content" folder(like "Card_01") and then you just select the clips you like...i wouldnt import from all the subfolders, as there could be a mix up of audio and video, dont know what happens to spanned lips, so definitly go for P2 select...!
 
ahhh...P2 select. That makes sense now. It looked very confusing before. This is the way I expected it. Danke!!
 
uh oh. That did work in my studio PC with the trial installed.
Now I tried it on my laptop with the dongled version 4.13 (which finally arrived) and P2 select won´t work. I started a new thread about this though. Maybe it is a bug somewhere in 4.13
 
Back
Top