Taking the step for After Effects

mikcheck

Active member
Hello guys.

When i'm editing, i only use Final Cut or Premiere, but i'd like to take another step and start to use After Effects so i can be more complete in this area.
Not only for that but also because the main jobs i look for, most of them if not all, ask for someone who knows how to work with After Effects, and well....i can't.

Do you think it's useful to pay for a course here near where i live? Or should i buy a book for beginners?

I've read good things about After Effects Apprentice book by Trish and Chris Meyes but i've read that it's not quite for those who never used it, not sure if that's true.

I'd like to know your opinion please.

Thank you.
 
Last edited:
That all depends on whether you are better at learning at your own pace (web tutorials, books) or with an actual teacher. Everyone is different. If you want to pay for online tutorials, Lynda.com and totaltraining.com are great resources. Or you could go the free youtube tutorial route. Actually I think Adobe has tutorials on their site as well. If books are your thing: go for it. I personally like the web tutorials.
 
I learned AE from videocopilot. I just picked the tutorials that seemed cool and followed along. A month of doing that and I was pretty comfortable with the software. Three months after starting, I was comfortable using it creatively, rather than just following instructions. And all I was out was my own time :D
 
Hello all.

I would like to thank you all for your replies, really appreciate that.

Instead of books for a beginners, i was thinking about going through this videos http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/ to learn the basics and then move to something more complex, maybe join Lynda after.

What do you guys think?

Thank you.
 
You can't get much better than free! VideoCopilot is a great website, so I'd have to assume their video tutorials are as well. I should mention that the Lynda videos do not require any previous knowledge or experience in After Effects. However, I'd first go with the free service. I wouldn't want to pay for Lynda longer than I needed to. (FYI, I get the service for free with my school, so no need to rush for myself)
 
Back
Top