Supersaturate a greenscreen

dcnblues

Active member
I'm setting up a small greenscreen studio (room is only 12' x 14'), and doing research on the best way to light the greenscreen backdrop. I didn’t know much when I started, have found out a lot, and thought I’d share what I’ve learned for those in the same boat. I’d also like to open up a topic specifically about supersaturation.

I read, somewhere, that “The best way to enhance an object's color is to hit it with light of the same color,” and it grabbed my attention, particularly as the physics seem to make sense.

I did a lot of web research, and found the following:

-Hitting a green backdrop with green light is called supersaturation.
-If you’re as new to lighting as I was, it takes a while to learn to refer to bulbs as ‘lamps,’ but it’s pervasive professional terminology, so just get used to it. I slip every now and again, however.
-In lighting a backdrop the goal is even lighting, and it really pays to grasp the concept that “The bigger the surface area of the key, the softer the results will be.” This means that tube fluorescents will have serious advantages over most other tools (a long glowing tube has greater surface area than most point source lights). My setup is too small and low budget to consider softboxes for the backdrop, though inexpensive diffusion is always an option, even if you loose some efficiency and increase your potential for spill.
-I had originally planned on using a light kit with daylight (5500k) fluorescents, and putting inexpensive green gels over them. But that would have been seriously inefficient (having a source at one temperature, and filtering out that temperature for one that the source isn’t producing much of), and there’s a better way.
-Color theory / temperature physics are a big mouthful to get into, but essentially, both light sources and objects reflecting light can have their color temperature measured not in degrees Kelvin, but in a coordinate system that more specifically measures color. (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIE_1931_color_space)
-In that system, a very pure green is measured around 520-550nm. Check out this illustration which you've probably seen before:

533px-PlanckianLocus.png


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/ba/PlanckianLocus.png/533px-PlanckianLocus.png
-Kino Flo (and others) make Fluorescent bulbs that radiate that specific, intense wavelength. This is not a conventional bulb with a coating that only lets out one color. It is / radiates that color and that color alone. They have a whole line of them in Chroma colors called ‘Visual Effects.’ See: http://www.kinoflo.com/Kino Flo lam...Colors/Visual Effects and Designer Colors.htm

-Why use Kino Flo Visual Effects lamps to light a blue or green screen?

For the best results the screen needs to be lit evenly and with the best possible color saturation. Evenness is easily achieved using Kino Flos because of the soft quality of the light and the wide beam spread. The best saturation of color is achieved by using blue-spike lamps on blue screens and green-spike lamps on green screens. It’s not as much about how much light is used to light a screen, but rather what produces the best saturation of reflected blue or green light.

...Benefits include: ten times more light per watt than tungsten lighting; low power consumption; low heat; and cost savings from not using color gels.

-The bulbs aren’t that pricey. $20 for an older, larger style T12 tube bulb, in 2’ and 4’ lengths.
-However, a newer design is called a BIAX bulb (or lamp). It’s a double tube, shorter, 21”, and much more efficient in power to light ratio.
-The bulb / lamp that I’ve got my eye on is 55 watts and costs $30, and is widely available: Kino Flo 55C-K5X 55W Kino 550 Green Compact F55/CFL 21” 2G11 4Pin

I want to use it. I’m going to need a fixture. More below.
 
Last edited:
One of the best sources of information I found on supersaturating was the following, highly recommended article “Greenscreen Primer Part 1,” by Alex Lindsay (March 01, 2009):
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/alindsay/story/greenscreen_primer_part_1/

I also found these encouraging and interesting quotes on a RED forum:

Just did some extensive green and blue screen testing both under daylight and tungsten settings. (over 100 setups with all the variables !)

We found we got the best results lighting with supergreen kino tubes on digi green screens, with daylight balanced FG/

Even under and overexposed shots could be pulled on tungsten and regular (not supergreen kino's) but they weren't as nice.

Every little bit helps.

jb

There is a perception that the super green and super blue tubes increase spill and contamination. I usually find the biggest issue is that people don't use enough separation from the key surface and FG and expose it properly. They are simply too close to the key surface.

The supergreens are very intense and I will often turn tubes off to bring the level back to base exposure or just under.

jb


http://reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10896
 
Last edited:
I need a fixture for the lamp / bulb. These are the options I’ve found that look as thought they'll work with the specialty lamp (I’m deliberately not wanting to start a discussion on ballasts. Not here, not now, please):

Dimmable:
-Kino Flo ParaZip 200 DMX - 110 Total Watts (120V AC) $ 1,100.00
-Molescent BIAX 2-A - $600-800
-Cool Lights CL-255MD Dimming 2 X 55 watt Soft Fluorescent $245 / http://www.coollights.biz/cl255md-cool-lights-dimming-watt-fluorescent-video-soft-p-103.html

Not Dimmable (and requiring a box canopy / enclosure, but cheap and seems to have a good high frequency ballast):
A H Supply's 1 x 55 watt Bright Kit / $44.99 / http://www.ahsupply.com/36-55w.htm

Unfortunately, the Cool Lights are on back order until August 19th. But I think I’m going to have to wait until then as it seems to be a hell of a product - there's nothing comparable in terms of low cost, dimmable, and reputable. As well, it’s nice to be able to give someone as helpful, generous, and well-known to this board as Richard my business.

ps If you're new to these forums, and to lighting, the Cool Lights website has a ton of very useful information in the blog and forum sections.
 
Once I buy my Cool Lights fixture, I’ll be using the Kino Biax super green lamp to light a chroma-green paper backdrop, and expect it will work fairly well. But the paper roll, like most backdrops, doesn’t specify its color in that CIE 1931 color space, and I expect it’s not going to be a physically perfect match with the temperature of the bulb. Alex Lindsay’s excellent article recommends the following:

“If you can’t muster a green wall, Lycra is the next best choice. Again Composite Components Green stretched tight is your best, though not cheapest, bet. “
I couldn’t find them in my own websearches, but Art Adams was gracious / cool enough to lend a hand and found them for me here:
http://www.digitalgreenscreen.com/

I gave them a call, and their green lycra is very close to 550nm in color. It comes in a variety of sizes, starting at 9’ x 9’ for $550 (that’s just a coincidence between price and color). They mentioned that sometimes they have used screens for half price ($275 for a 9’x9’ used).

It looks like a great way to go, and down the road (and if I have problems with the chroma green paper roll) I may buy one from them.
 
I have one question that puzzles me.

My studio setup will only be shooting medium and close shots of a single subject from a locked down camera (16:9, but tilted on its side to a ‘portrait’ rather than ‘landscape’ format) that will have the subject close to filling the viewfinder.

I figure I’ll be able to put my Cool Light 255MD vertically oriented behind the subject and facing the backdrop, shrouded / flagged off from the camera and subject, and hidden from the camera by the subject. From the comments about the supergreen bulb’s intensity, I’m hoping one two-lamp fixture will be enough to light the backdrop. If not, I’ll have to bite the bullet, buy a second fixture, and light the backdrop conventionally.

However, that conventional reasoning in backdrop lighting has you place your lights so that their reflection off the backscreen won’t be directed at the camera. i.e, high and above the backdrop and pointed steeply down, or below and angled sharply up.

I don’t get this. I’m assuming it’s related to using lights that are a different temp than the screen, or even your key lights. If I’m using chroma green lamps, and can tune lumens by selection of wattage and dimming, I don’t understand why physics wouldn’t reward having a fairly direct reflection angle off the backdrop and back to the camera in my supersaturated backdrop setup.

If the source light is a desirable pure green, then the more direct the reflection, the better, it would seem. As well, if the fixture is dimmable, then one presumably has some control over the camera IRE and green spill issues.

Any comments on this most welcome.
 
Some tips for setting up the green screen studio are:


You can be more hassle free in your editing job by keeping your manual shooting well lighted. In a green screen studio, you must have at least two lights for your background when you shoot. This will ensure an evenly toned background. Please be reminded that your subject must also be lighted so that the subject will be seen clearly. A well toned green screen background is easier to edit than uneven ones.


Use a continuous green screen instead of a green screen that is divided in sheets. The division will cause visual impairments in your work even after editing. Hence, it is wiser to use the former kind of green screen than the latter kind.
 
Last edited:
I got 3 cheap Mini LED lights from guitar center and then I put some cloth in front to diffuse them and set them to green. Then I use as many home depot clamp light fixtures as I need to emulate the virtual scene I am creating. It turns out great, and I am using a SD camera. The LED lights are about $70 now maybe even cheaper. They generate no heat so you don't have to buy real diffusion gel. Dryer sheets or cloth placed about 8" away look just fine. I also got some thick wire, duct tape and cardboard to mak´some barn doors for all the lights. Total cost= $260. You could probably just use 2 or even 1 LED light to illuminate the backdrop, but mine is 15' wide so I need at least 3. If your green screen is on the floor too, which mine is, buying some foam core as a reflector on the sides of the backdrop will reflect the green light to the ground a little. Works just fine.
 
Back
Top