Sound in rendered clips way out of sync

Malcolm Wright

Well-known member
Is there anything you folks can think of that would cause sound to go out of sync quite drastically, even when the rendered clip is only a couple of minutes long?

I've just dropped some mp3 tracks into the time line and cut some footage of New Zealand's south island to them. Its 1080 footage with 2:3 pulldown. It doesn't matter what I render to: .avi, mpg, back to p2 structure - the sound becomes off by several seconds only a minute or so into the clip...
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious :)

Thanks!

M.
 
Cant really help you here...just one guess is that i would always convert a .mp3 to a wav.....i didnt have any problems with edius(as i dont use mp3 in my NLE anymore), but i can tell strange stories from premiere...maybe that helps...?!

Strange anyway...good luck!
 
Thank you!

I'll give that a try...

I'v ebeen pretty lucky with mp3s so far in that I've only had one crash scrubbing through them: the crash issue with them has not affected me much at all.
I'll let you know if they were responsible for the trouble here!

:)

Malcolm
 
It worked!
After conversion, the wav is about 10-15 percent longer than the mp3. Which points towards what was going on...

Thank you for the tip: it was spot on!

M.
 
Wow...surprises me even more than you..glad that i could help...so i knwo that its a good move to be aware of .mp3 in editing...!

Thanks for trying it..!
 
My pleasure!

But I made a little mistake in the above post: the wavs turned out 10 to 15 percent shorter than the mp3s.

I'd love to have a better understanding of what causes this!

M.
 
Yet another correction: only the first mp3 was causing the problem and turned out to be shorter as a wav... the others were fine.

Weird.

M.
 
Man, maybe we should ask the Frauenhofer-institute here in germany who invented the mp3 format, but i am not sure they have an answer for that...its weird indeed the way you describe it, maybe the different mp3s had been encoded in different ways/datarate..who knows...!?

But if someone (like THoff..) had an explanation for that, would be interesting..!
 
Beats me. Since the problem appears to be limited to just one file, I'd guess it has some sort of encoding problem or uses an optional / rare encoding format that Edius doesn't fully support.

Are the properties of all the MP3s (mono/stereo, bitrate, frequency etc.) the same? Do any other programs have trouble with that particular file?
 
The various mp3 files have varying bit rates, but there is nothing extraordinarily different about the problematic one that I can see... The sampling frequencies are all the same 44100 hz
They are all stereo.

If there is a difference in encoding format, it isn't being spelled out in the properties...

I'm happy to just say: all is well that ends well since things are working now!

Thanks!
Malcolm
 
Back
Top