Sony fs700 and odyssey 7q still the best price performance 4k camera

cckid

Well-known member
Hellou everyone,

The NAB 2014 has just ended and I was waiting for someone to announce a sub 10.000 usd 4K camera that would incorporate these main features

- 4k internal with good internal codec
- high frame rates 100 fps or up internal recording - preferably in 4k if not than in 2k or hd
- good built quality - so you can shoot in non controlled situations
- internal nd filters
- interchangeable lens mounts (supporting canon ef, nikon, pl)
- and of course a big sensor S35 size or similar

after seeing all NAB has to offer I realize that my sony fs 700 coupled with an additional odyssey 7q would still might be the winner...the closest contender is the AJA CION camera...which seems absolutely gorgeous however misses 2 key features - internal high frames rates (it clocks only 60fps internally) and internal ND filters - which means having matte box and additional glass filters with you wherever you go...if aja cion could adress those 2 big missing features, I think that AJA would get a huge portion of current fs700 users - AJA CION would seem a also great contender even for those with deeper pockets who currently buying sony f5, sony f55 or for that fact an arri amira....

the simple fact is that the sony fs 700 is such a versatile camera because of the simple fact there is so much it can do internally and with the addition of the odyssey it can do even so much more...


and what are your thoughts on the subject??
 
Yeah, i was kind of holding off for NAB before ordering the 7Q. Maybe something would beat it in a much smaller package. Nope! Hope to place an order for the 7Q soon (depends on last minute taxes!)
 
there is also a great piece of kit from solid camera especially made for the fs700 and odyssey 7q in order to hold it strong and in whatever position the dop decides to have it....I think it is a must in order to have a solid safe rig of these two...if anyone knows any alternative option please let us know
 
I'm both happy and sad after this NAB.

Sad, because I was expecting something huge on the camera side. It did in some ways but not to the level of making me want to change my camera. So :

Happy, because I don't have to change my FS700 + OD7Q combo for at least a year or two !

I can now focus on buying new optics (this new Sigma 50mm 1.4, hmmmmm!!!) and accessories (probably sell my Alphatron EVF for the forcoming Zacuto oled beast)

Cheers.
 
Back
Top