Sony A7S II - The woman who left, winner of the Golden Lion at Venice in 2016

mproust14

Active member
This is no doubt old news, but I happened to see 'The woman who left' (winner of the Golden Lion at the 2016 Venice film festival) last Friday at my local film festival. Perhaps there aren't too many familiar with the movie as it is 4 hours in length and quite obscure, and what's more I don't think it was released in a lot of countries, with the exception of local film festivals of course.

I was pleased to learn the movie was shot on the as7 II with what appears to be native lenses (although I am not 100% on this point, but this is my best guess from the production photos I have seen).

What's impressive is that the movie is significant art, and that is refreshing to see.

It was also nice to see how the a7s II looks on the big screen. For anyone who owns this camera, I think it would be worthwhile if they haven't had the opportunity to watch the movie in the cinema. Otherwise, there are clips on youtube to view.

For me, the image wasn't particularly pleasing, nor was there any effort it seems to make it pleasing. I checked and the director used a Red Epic for his previous movie. I can only therefore assume that the a7s II was picked because the movie demanded portability and good low light ability - natural light was used in the night scenes.

In the end it is more inspirational than anything. I invite you to take a look and formulate your own opinions.
 
I watched the trailer. It checks all the art house boxes and criteria for awards but otherwise, at 4 hours, I would skip it.

B+W lends instant art credibility, plus you've got oppressed workers, people of color, etc...

I'm sure they cried their eyes out in Venice while sipping Moscato.

As for the cinematography: didn't look like log. Maybe cine1 or STD desaturated?

Nice to know an a7sII won something, I guess.

But I'd rather pull my teeth out with a pair of rusty pliers than sit through 4 hours of that. (And I can stomach Michael Haneke).
 
Last edited:
I think for me it was more about seeing what the camera looks like on the big screen. Even if people walk out half way through the movie, it might be of interest.

I know the director to be a thoughtful man so I respectfully disagree with your assessment, but everyone can make up their own mind - after all we aren't here to discuss the merits of the movie. The B + W is probably more a product of finances than anything. I imagine it would be much harder for people to make movies in the Philippines, and I know for a fact this was an extreme indie, which is inspirational.
 
"I know the director to be a thoughtful man."

We all try to be thoughtful.

"The B + W is probably more a product of finances than anything."

In digital it costs nothing.
 
Last edited:
"I know the director to be a thoughtful man."

We all try to be thoughtful.

"The B + W is probably more a product of finances than anything."

In digital it costs nothing.

Color grading to a suitable cinematic standard does cost unfortunately.

Anyway, for anyone interested check it out.
 
Back
Top