Some Questions in the Stickie

My question is what is the best way to use the adaptor;

1. with a fixed lens - do you use the aperture only on the 35 lens and leave the camera lens wide open? Wouldn't this enhance the aberration of the camera lens? arguing this becasue the "sweet spot" for a lens is usually at f4-f5.6 but that's giving up a lot of light.

2. with a fixed lens - can you zoom into the ground glass? pros & cons?

3. with a zoom lens - do you set the camera at wide and full open, and do all control with the 35mm zoom?, or should you do some zoom and aperture control with the camera lens as well?

My thinking on this is that the camera lens should be at wide angle just to fill the FOV with the GG, fixed focus, and stopped down maybe one stop, and then do the majority of the control with the 35mm lens. This would seem to argue for using a good 35mm zoom.
any commentsor thougts are appreciated.

For the record, I have a Letus35 with a set of Canon FL lenses, no zooms yet. I'm shopping for either an FL or FD.

i don't know. but this might make it easier for others to know what the Q was.

1) The camera aperture can be used to adjust exposure as needed.
2) Depends on the adapter. Most there's a small margin where it's possible to zoom in and out. Usually the image will degrade significantly past a certain point however on the Letus Ultimate it's possible to zoom in extremely far into the GG without loss of quality.
3) Only use the zoom with the zoom lens, assuming that the zoom hold focus over the entire range. Don't touch the camera control except for aperture.

Back