Some beginner's questions- help please

KOHR

Well-known member
Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to 3d modeling and animation, but I figure its a good avenue to explore now that I've been working with 2d visual effects for a little while. I've modeled a few very simple things in Maya, but have never actually textured, animated, etc. etc. I am making a 10 to 15 minute sci fi movie over the next year or so that I plan on pouring my visual fx skills into, but there are a couple shots that require 3d. I'm just wondering if a beginner could realistically accomplish these couple items within a years time to implement in a short film. I'd also like to know if there is any way that they could be accomplished in an easier manner, or if something I think must be done in 3d, could easily be done in 2.5d! (Also, any recommendations for software for these items would be awesome!)

Heres what I plan on needing to create...

1) A futuristic drop ship. The drop ship will be present in about 2 scenes of the movie, and will primarily do one of two things, cruise midair, or hover close to the ground and then pull up into the air.

2) Maybe 1 or 2 3d set extensions, primarily large scale walls or barriers. Some rubble and destroyed material may be scattered in piles as well. These will be used for moving shots. The locked off shots will primarily use 2d set extension and matte paintings.

3) If I have time I may include a scene with a sort of hover tank; however, this is optional, and will only be included if I could finish all the other items in time.

So what do you guys think? Its really just 3 items-- one flying vehicle and 2 basic 3d sets. Any tips, ideas, or comments? Thanks in advance!
 
Shouldn't be too hard to do, if you don't make it too complex. I've been learning Maya for a while and getting a hang of the modeling thing.

You would need to be able to motion track the footage, as well as incorporate fluid and dynamic effects for the wind displacement when the drop ship hovers over the ground and such.

It is totally possible, just hunker down and work on it. If you need some help, I know there are a few modelers here. And a few VFX artists.

Good luck
 
I agree with the above.
Also you'll need to begin with modelling.
Almost if not all of the 3D programs have free 30 -60 day trial versions.
They're usually fully functional. So maybe try some modelling for a month and see how that goes.

As for which program to try, there's been several threads already discussing that so I hope that does not start up again. Those go nowhere.

Good luck
 
Hey thanks you guys, i really appreciate it! I really just wanted to make sure I wasn't being unrealistic here. I know lots of people decide that they need something and they'll conveniently do it in 3d, but then it turns out to be an impossible feat when it actually comes to making it happen... usually because they have little to no prior experience in 3d. Anyway, thanks for all your help... I suppose I should just get cracking on it; if I have any more questions, I'll post them here. Thanks again!
 
Back
Top