Small Formatting Question

prexdealer

Well-known member
Hi,

I am using Celtx to write a short and had a question about how to format a scene.

It starts off as a woman a room on a phone call.

The man she is speaking to is off scene so I have him as a (V.O)

At some point I want to reveal him sitting on his bed with another woman.

Is it ok to format it like I have below (celtx centers it properly - just curious about how to introduce where he is)? Or does it need some special heading - since they are not in the same room? THANKS in advance for any help.

JASON (V.O)
Ok, ok. Let's give this a couple of days.

CLOE
What are you saying?

Audience now sees Jason on his bed with a woman.

JASON
See you Saturday at 7.
 
You need a new scene header there between CLOE and JASON: INT. JASON'S ROOM - CONTINUOUS or INT. JASON'S ROOM - SAME or just INT. JASON'S ROOM. If you intend to try and sell this script, I'd stay away from "Audience now sees..." after the scene header. Just write "Jason is sitting on a bed with a woman" (present continuous because he's been sitting there before we cut to him). If you intend to film this yourself, write it upside down and in Korean if you want.
 
Thanks! Just working on a short, but wanted to make it look right. So if after he says "See you Saturday at 7" and it cuts back to CLOE I have to put in another scene header? I tried to put in what I think needs to happen based on your input. Thanks!!!!!!!!!


CLOE

What are you saying?

INT. JASON'S ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Jason is sitting on his bed with a woman.


JASON
See you Saturday at 7.

He hangs up before CLOE can reply.

INT. LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

CLOE
Thanks - baby.
 
Thanks! Just working on a short, but wanted to make it look right. So if after he says "See you Saturday at 7" and it cuts back to CLOE I have to put in another scene header? I tried to put in what I think needs to happen based on your input. Thanks!!!!!!!!!


CLOE

What are you saying?

INT. JASON'S ROOM - CONTINUOUS


Jason is sitting on his bed with a woman.


JASON
See you Saturday at 7.

He hangs up before CLOE can reply.

INT. LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

CLOE
Thanks - baby.

Yes, though I personally avoid "Continuous" because it's usually clunky and redundant. If this cutting back and forth between your characters were to continue for a longer scene, use an intercut scene header after setting up the two seperate location scene headers: INTERCUT BETWEEN CLOE AND JASON

Clarity is the rule, but not at the risk of making it annoying to read.
 
Last edited:
Never use 'audience now sees'...If you absolutely MUST resort to something like it...'we see' is the barely acceptable version. But try and avoid if at all possible.
 
Yeah, this snippet is out of context, but you could also do intercut. Both scenes will be edited together somehow. Not sure why you needed the VO

INTERCUT INT. CLOE'S LIVINGROOM / JASON'S BEDROOM - NIGHT

JASON (V.O)
Ok, ok. Let's give this a couple of days.

CLOE
What are you saying?

Audience now sees Jason on his bed with a woman.

JASON
See you Saturday at 7.

Then lose that 'audience sees' bit. And maybe refer to the bedmate as WOMAN.

a
 
Back
Top