When I do portrait photography, one issue that always gripes me is frame size — 8x10's vs. 4x6's. I'm not really sure how professionals deal with it, actually. I've tried to shoot conservatively in a middle-ground ratio, but having to play it safe really stifles creativity and lends itself to messy framing, regardless of the final printed product.
I see quite a few leading wedding photographers strut their stuff on their blogs, and while it's all good, their 4x6 pictures and 1:1 ratio details are going to be ruined in individual prints. So how do they set the expectations of their customers? How do they control the final product? Do they shoot 4x6 and let the chips fall where they may if someone chooses on 8x10 (with the exception of a photo or two destined for a canvas print above the mantle)?
SmugMug, for instance, will allow people to buy 8x10s from me when I specifically shot them 4x6. The layperson doesn't realize the image won't look the same. They see frame size as just another option. An afterthought.
I don't understand why frame size in photography is negotiable and frame size in film is not, personally. I suppose that's the advantage of being a commercial photographer: clients are explicit in their needs.
Any thoughts on the matter would probably ease my frustration.
Thanks!
I see quite a few leading wedding photographers strut their stuff on their blogs, and while it's all good, their 4x6 pictures and 1:1 ratio details are going to be ruined in individual prints. So how do they set the expectations of their customers? How do they control the final product? Do they shoot 4x6 and let the chips fall where they may if someone chooses on 8x10 (with the exception of a photo or two destined for a canvas print above the mantle)?
SmugMug, for instance, will allow people to buy 8x10s from me when I specifically shot them 4x6. The layperson doesn't realize the image won't look the same. They see frame size as just another option. An afterthought.
I don't understand why frame size in photography is negotiable and frame size in film is not, personally. I suppose that's the advantage of being a commercial photographer: clients are explicit in their needs.
Any thoughts on the matter would probably ease my frustration.
Thanks!