Shooting verite-style in 24p? (Focusing questions)

Liloia

Member
I have no hands-on experience with the DVX100, but I'm curious to know something... Has anyone had any experience shooting verite-style in 24p mode?

The reason I ask is because I've read that the autofocusing is very slow in 24p mode, but I'm wondering if folks choose to completely ditch autofocus and go completely manual... If so, how has the experience been?
 
looks like you've answered you own question already, but yes. It is slow, I'd say always use manual. I shoot lots of verite stuff, but always opt for all manual settings. Especially when theres lots of movement auto won't do.
It's also a generally good habit to get into anyway. Even in tights spots where you are a one-man-band or something it's better to find focus and set it down or move your body to keep similar distance from the subject. As long as SOMEthing is in focus the audience is pretty forgiving, but if it keeps shifting slowly all over it's often pretty useless footage.
I often shoot alone and when there is quick conversation and I feel like getting faster close ups of different people talking back and forth, theres no way Auto Focus would be able to keep up when I pan to get a reaction.
Besides thats one of the best camera features (to me; and one big reason I have one), the focus/zoom rings are so lose and fluid that you only need one finger of your supporting hand to quickly zoom in, find focus, and frame up in about the time it takes to get the camera rolling. Every bit counts when your shooting an open ended scene largely on intuition.
 
Ditch the 24p for verite style shooting (IMHO). Quick unpredictable camera movement that happen with with verte shooting have an unpleasant strobbing effect in 24p.

24p is general used for attaining movie style cadence that you don't need with documetary video. Unless you really feel artistically you need it. :)

Cheers
 
wabbit - True. This is a legit opinion.

valdez - Thanks for the response... that was helpful info.!
 
Back
Top