GraBird
Member
I'll be filming a music video next month and it's pretty much a mini movie, which will be great because it's for my band and will be my first movie in 20+ years, and everyone involved is thrilled and excited.
I wrote a script for it and that went great. I've learned not to include planned shots in the script, there's not a single "WE SEE" or "CU" in it, etc. It just tells the scene setttings, what action happens, and any dialog (which in this case, there really won't be, it'll all be ad-libbed and covered over with the music anyway).
But now, as director, I need to start planning my shots. I took the spec script and jotted notes to myself how I'd like to do each scene. In many cases they are broken up into several shots.
What's the standard way to reformat this so that the shots are distinctly identified yet still indicate the overall scene? And then that would be used for planning daily shooting schedules, making sure we got all the shots needed, setups, etc.
I was going to do this way, but not sure if this is "proper". I'd like it to be something I can hand off to actors and not have them freak out over.
Would this work or is there a preferred way?
I wrote a script for it and that went great. I've learned not to include planned shots in the script, there's not a single "WE SEE" or "CU" in it, etc. It just tells the scene setttings, what action happens, and any dialog (which in this case, there really won't be, it'll all be ad-libbed and covered over with the music anyway).
But now, as director, I need to start planning my shots. I took the spec script and jotted notes to myself how I'd like to do each scene. In many cases they are broken up into several shots.
For example (spec script):
Code:
INT APARTMENT STAIRWELL - DAY
Derek comes down from his apartment and
is ambushed by Amelie, who suddenly reveals
herself from the shadows. She confronts him
and pleads with him, but he brushes her off.
He finally has to push her away and leaves.
She collapses to the floor, holding her belly
and crying.
(contains shots, numbered):
Code:
84 - FS stairway, looking up, follow Derek to
reveal Amelie
85 - CU Derek, reaction
86 - MS 2 shot Derek, Amelie, dolly around to
rev MS, tilt down, follow Amelie to floor
What's the standard way to reformat this so that the shots are distinctly identified yet still indicate the overall scene? And then that would be used for planning daily shooting schedules, making sure we got all the shots needed, setups, etc.
I was going to do this way, but not sure if this is "proper". I'd like it to be something I can hand off to actors and not have them freak out over.
(shooting script?)
Code:
INT APARTMENT STAIRWELL - DAY
84 FS Derek, coming down stairs from his apartment.
Follow to reveal Amelie, emerging from shadows
beside stairs.
85 CU Derek's reaction.
86 MS 2 shot Amelie confronts Derek and pleads
with him, but he brushes her off. Dolly
around for Rev MS. Derek pushes her
away and leaves. Tilt down follow
Amelie collapsing to floor, holding her
belly and crying.
Would this work or is there a preferred way?