Shooting on the street

Loki

Veteran
Does anyone know the logistics of shooting mini-interviews on the street with people...

would I need to get them to sign a release form? or get them to do a video confirmation?

I mean people must know who Michael Moore is... they must understand he heavily manipulates his films.. so why would they allow themselves to be filmed....

now I live in canada, so perhaps the rules are wacky and different.. but I am assuming you still need someone's permission to put them in your film...whether it be and actor... or a person on the street..

I only ask because I am writing a documentary, and would like to film a section of on the street mini interviews..

anyone know the deal behind this?
 
All I do is ask them if they want they don't mind answering questions on camera. If they say yes, then you got the permission. It's really not all that complicated. I don't think a release fourm is needed.
 
Bluespider you may be right but if you have a form then get them to sign it. Its one of those issues where its always better to be covered. Also there is a difference between what a journalist does and a filmaker. A jounalist is covered with freedom of the press. we are not. A documentary.... i dont know.

Also to your point of why do people let michael moore use their images.. Have you ever watched cops? Everyone you see has given permission to be shown. can you belive that? the guy standing their with no shirt, no teeth and no clue being hauled into jail for beating his wife and kids is still so interested in getting his 15 minutes of fame that he signs a release. I saw interview with the producer of cops and he said originally they thought no one would give permission but over the past 15 years or so he has had very few people say no. Or how about the people on taxi cab confessions. thats even worse. Some chick is tongueing her girlfriend, joking about cheating on her husband and smoking crack, then at the end of the cab ride the HBO producers ask her to sign a release letting them show all of this on TV.. HELL YEAH, WHERE DO I SIGN!. never underestimate peoples desire to be on TV. most people will sign something
 
smithgallTV said:
never underestimate peoples desire to be on TV. most people will sign something

maybe in the states dude, not here in england! dangerous business here. you film brits unawares and then ask for permission, you're either gonna receive a half-hour diatribe or a smack in the face!! luckily most of the people i'm filming are homeless and their permission isn't required.
 
rickshawrider said:
maybe in the states dude, not here in england! dangerous business here. you film brits unawares and then ask for permission, you're either gonna receive a half-hour diatribe or a smack in the face!! luckily most of the people i'm filming are homeless and their permission isn't required.

Interesting legal system where non-landed peasants have less rights than the landed gentry.
 
get them to sign a talent release form. (basicaly it should say: i give permission to (filmmaker) to include me on an infinite scale without royalties in the film called (filmname).)

get the owner of the location to sign a location release form. If its a public location you have to get the local council/mayor/governments permission (this might be different in other counties)
 
SmithGallTV touched on this:

I work in news, and if you're on the street, there's "No expectation of privacy", as it says in the law books of California. Or to simplify, if you're out in public, then everything you do or say is probably witnessed, overheard and maybe videotaped anyway, so there's no way to cry foul when they show up on some tape somewhere.

Now, how you use the image of said person, and whether you are setting them up for ridicule or implicating something about them, then things can get complicated. Ever notice on the evening news, when they do a story about "Obese America", they show overweight people with no heads? Or, "Male-pattern baldness", and all the video is of people with no faces? It's because no one wants to get sued over using the image of someone in an embarrassing manner, although they technically are fair game since they are out in public. If you just need a shot of the public walking down 5th Ave in Manhattan though, you should have no problem showing everything.

Get a release form, and roll video of them consenting as backup. I'd guess the temptation to be on tv can be easily shadowed by the temptation to frivolously sue.
 
The "No expectation of privacy" rule works only in the news/journalism world. If this is a commercial/for-profit project (a doc. can still be a commercial project) then a release needs to be obtained.

To be a legit non-profit project, you need to be a 501.c3 org or represented by one (fiscal sponsorship).

I'm not a lawyer -- just what I know from experience as a PBS producer.

For events, it's usual to see a sign upon entry stating that you will be photographed or videotaped beyond this point. For ticketed events, this is often stated in the fine print on the tickets. I was taping at a free outdoor children's festival this past weekend that was sponsored by the city (Hampton, VA) and there were signs stating this in plain sight. Even with that we still obtained signed releases from interviewees (although I think that was overkill -- but hey, gotta keep the intern busy).
 
ST_ said:
get them to sign a talent release form. (basicaly it should say: i give permission to (filmmaker) to include me on an infinite scale without royalties in the film called (filmname).)

get the owner of the location to sign a location release form. If its a public location you have to get the local council/mayor/governments permission (this might be different in other counties)
Just a quick question: should be this a free form or some special template?
 
Back
Top