Shake vs AE

Beeblebrox

Well-known member
I'm getting a G5 shortly for the sole purpose of using and editing video. I was wondering what, if any, advantages there were to moving from AE to Shake.

Does it have the user base? How much of a standard is it? How does it compare tool wise? What about user interface? What are your personal experiences? What have you heard or read about it?

Thanks!
 
I've worked with shake and AE a bit. The main difference is the user interface. In addition, shake is a little faster at some things and works in a floating point colorspace. The main difference is really that shake is a compositors tool while after effects does compositing and motion graphics. shake excels at compositing however and outperforms after effects in that area.
 
Shake is badass. You will have no regrets, especially after switching from AE.
If you're doing hard-core spfx, shake is definitely something I would rather use.
 
Shake doesn't have the tools for advanced motion graphics though, and AE takes the cake there. I have both, but only pull out shake for tricky compositing or effects work. AE the other 99% of the time. Plus, the nodal interface of shake takes a bit of getting used to.
 
Back
Top