SGpro r3 flip module footage

when I used the sharpest lens I've ever tested - the Nikon 70-200 2.8. The only theory I have on this is that the GG on the SG is less contrasty (more diffuse) than the LEX.

[SIZE=-1]I believe he meant[/SIZE] 80-200 2.8.

NOTE: Be aware the 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 have no aperture ring and it won't work with any 35mm adopter because the aperture is controlled by the D200 camera.
 
I've taken my sg apart. Because it's a "spinning" GG, I don't think it could be made much shorter. Also the center of the lens mount is at the perfect height for most matte boxes (non-flip). The platter is much larger than a vibrating GG. On the upside, there's not much in that box - so it doesn't weigh as much as it looks. Get a shoulder mount set up and you're fine. Concerning what's big, it's still small compared to broadcast and film cameras.

re: RichardVClark
Regarding sharpness, I found the LEX to be slightly sharper in the A/B tests I did as well as have about 1/3 to 1/2 stop less light loss. Oddly enough the difference in sharpness became negligible when I used the sharpest lens I've ever tested - the Nikon 70-200 2.8. The only theory I have on this is that the GG on the SG is less contrasty (more diffuse) than the LEX. This accounts for it's brilliant bokeh. The older manual Nikons are definitely less contrasty than the new zooms. So between the old manual Nikons (85mm 1.4 Ai) and the SG's GG, the lower contrast gets mutiplied between the two by a considerably larger factor than with the Nikon 70-200 2.8.

I'll be purchasing a flip module for my SG soon. The million dollar question I have for Wayne is: is it any sharper (being a different achromat) than the non-flip?

Also, the only suggestion I have for all the new rod mount alternatives is: instead of raising the camera, how about designing a lower cost alternative to the Z riser and just raise the adaptor? I begrudgingly shelled out for my Z riser and wished somebody made something like it for less. having the camera lower to the shoulder with a lower overall CG really makes a difference. Aaton figured that out in Super 16, making it a much better alternative than Arri (in my opinion) for all out hand held work.

None of the adaptor makers make handheld kits or monitor mount hardware or at least package it. Perhaps it's not economically viable, but the moment you strap on all that gear, lens, etc. the first that you think of is: how do I get this on my shoulder comfortably.

Note for Wayne: Video I did on SG for Cezar will soon be released for broadcast. Will keep you posted.

We believe we have seen a slight sharpness increase with the flip module - more testing on this.

We have had alot of emails asking for a z raiser solution, so we are designing one now!

Keep me posted on the Cezar video.
 
Back
Top