SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

jjpopp

Active member
Hello

I am looking make an investment in a microphone. Due to my limited budget I most likely will only be able to buy one mic. My need will be mostly documentary will some short story work. Has anyone have any experience with the above mic? Any thoughts?
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

I don't own one, but there is no doubt about it. That is a great mic. It depends where you are recording. For me, I would rather have the MKH-50. It would suit me better. The 50's (and 60's) are popular with the pros and you might be able to find a used one (if in that market). I don't know what Senn. charges to check them out/refurb. them.

These mics cost more than all my mics together. If I ever win the lotto, put me down for: 1 20, 1 40, 2 50's, and a 60. Might as well throw a 70 in there also. (I could use it for self-defense). No, save the mic, use the fishpole. I have no use for the 30.

I know, not much help, but the MKH series are a very respected 'pro' line of mics. You will be using this mic eight (or more) cameras from now.

Chris
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

exellen mike - good for indoors not so tight pattern as the 50 but good for sitdown situation when you place the mike fixed on boom arm and forget about it , the small changes of the head and body posision woudnt be so critical
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

Thanks for the feedback... Wonderful as usual. I think if I can get the price I need I will buy
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

I'd love to have one of those! Hopefully you're getting a REALLY good price 'cause if this ONE mic is going to break you for a long time I'd be curious why you're planning to put so many eggs in one basket?

Nobody's going to question the value of this one mic... it's probably the best cardioid made... but after a few shoots you're probably going to want one or two other patterns for different situations and if you spend your entire mic budget on one mic you'll have to make it work for everything, but like I said, I'd love to have one of those... so follow up with your experiences!
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

[quote author=Matt in STL link=board=audio;num=1106844908;start=0#4 date=01/29/05 at 23:18:09]Nobody's going to question the value of this one mic... it's probably the best cardioid made... ![/quote]

thats one of - i work with something else and i like my more
:-)

but the point is right for someone who buy one mike for everithing thats not the best choice , in some way its better spread the money on ability work in different situations is better then pull 100% quality from
part of the situations you are going to meet in your work

as matt sudgested you can get very good resolts with less expencive mikes and be able to work  for almost every situation , ass much it is the one of the best choices for sit doun , this is one of the bad for extiriar noicy invaerment  and sometimes when you have 2 person situation on the sofa with more then 3 feet between you would suprise that it quit not sounds in the way you expected and you need to mik both of them .
so we ending the story buy asking if we wont quality or quantaty -
for these who start and have some money issiu ill say quantety becouse it can give you not only better freadom in your shooting style but also can work as back up in situations that your name and your future work depend on the first impretion .

in the word we are livingnow there is no many compession and forgiving to your first step , and the next call wouldnt arive even it was not your foult .
so if you really not big enouth ,your futur brad quit depends on your gear .
think really good if you shure that one is enouth .
but if you have enouth to spread , the 40 , 50 , 60  or other in the same rang are the best you can get
i work with another brand -but thats becouse i was rice on black caviar and not truefs which i" dont like" but other say its gods taste :-)
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

Thanks everyone. I mainly am going to use this one for interviews. I had used it before (rented it and it's big brother MKH 70) and was happy with the results. I go my price - around half of retail - though mine is used and once received I will give it a run in a local commercial I am filming. I will post the results right here. I agree with all the questoins regarding why I am putting all my eggs in once basket. I guess i want to get the best audio I can afford and not have the hassel of renting everytime I needed to shoot. for my documentary I am going to do some location work and wanted to avoid having to rent everything and anything at every location. I still have the problem of getting a shotgun mount and pole as well as someone to operate it.


Thanks and hopefully I made the right choice
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

no secret - schoeps cardioid mk-4 and hyper cardiod mk41 with cmc-5 preamps ( thats the caviar), sanken cub-1 pzms , octava hc for interiars , schoeps figur of 8 and shure 88 for ms . sanken c3-e , senheiser 416, 816 for extiriars ,
lectrosonics 411/um 400 and zaxcom eng stereo line wierless with sankens cos 11 , senheiser mke 2 , dpa , countryman emw , b-6 , sony ecm 77 lavaliers capsuls \
vdb and k-teck boom pools
k-tek and rycote and lightwave suspentions and zeppelins
sd-442 , soundcraft lm and wendt 2 mixers
nomad j-b -3 recorder
hhb portadat tc recorder
and from today sound devices 744 recorder
pd-150 and half dvx a to shoot the kids :-)
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

SD 744t......drool, drool. I have been on waiting list :'( to get mine. It's gonna be like Xmas in Febuary.
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

Ill post my impretion after i would run it on the real worlk - right now only did few tests to check the preamps which extrimly good - better then the 442  but as i see it ill not use them allot exept cometial stuff which usially you can do on sony 150 and no one would even say  anithing , very hard to work on these small pots , so ext mixer is a better choice , the menu is very clear , the change of setups is annoing , not enouth presets in the menu to preper some futur situations ,
the battery relise and the cf card relise is a pain in the a$$
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

Oleg,

I was told by my saleswoman about a firewire flaw in the first 744t they sent out. Sometimes when you plug the firewire in all your files get corrupted. There is a firmware update availalble to fix this.

Just thought I would let you know in case you hadn't heard. ;D

A question about the 744t. I know you can record to HD and CF at same time but can you transfer your files from HD to CF without having to hook the 744 to a computer?
Have you tried this?
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

Oleg,
What is the figure-8 schoeps used for?

If you don't mind, could you describe a little how you decide which boom mic to use in a particular situation. For instance, when would you pull out the octava instead of the schoeps, when would you use the sanken instead of the sennheisers? It may be educational for those of us without so much experience. Also, why do you prefer the older style sennheisers to the new ones?
Thanks
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

I know you asked for Oleg, but I want to take a stab at it anyway... My understanding with the figure 8 is for micing two people and having each in a recording space like a cardioid. The figure 8 has a cardioid to the front and to the rear... it's like an omni but it's got the cardioid isolation rather then a uniform bubble... meaning that there is still side rejection.

If you see two singers facing each other with a mic in the center... that's a figure 8.

You could also use a figure 8 sideways so that it's hearing to both sides but with the rejection facing forward... then you use your directional mic (shotgun) to mic the talent and dial in the figure 8 to choose how much extra ambience you want on the shot... on two seperate tracks of course... kind of like an m-s mic.

Aside from those two uses, which were rarely needed in my experience, I couldn't justify the specialized nature of a figure 8... now maybe Oleg will blast that out of the water and give me a reason to buy another one...
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

i use it only for ms recording , there is no other way you can work with that mike  for something else , of course it might be situation in which 2 peole talking in the way you can hide the mike between them ( plant mike) , but thats only good for very spesific static situation  which unforchanly :-) never happend to me in my life
the ms is used to mike 2 or more singers in the studio or 2 groups of people
on each side of the mike , otherwise i dont see any other use for this
for ambient and stereo recording the 8 capsul is the compromise for better x/y solution  ( not alwais , but i prefer it more ) then the sum between the front mike ( cardioid, hiper cardioid, super cardioud , or any other directianal mike) and the figur of 8 would give you the left of stereo image and the difference( oposit fase) would give you the right
as the grate the front signal would be  so tighter would be the stereo image  and if you would increase the figur of 8 signal  or decrise the front , you would get more wider stereo image
so the left is  front + 8 and the right is front - 8

desigion on which mike to use - for me its symple , i am always start with schoeps inside  and usially stay with it until the end of the day , if i need second boom inside , i pull another shoeps , if i need another mike it depends hou i mount or plant it , i usially stay away from shot guns inside , have enouth other stuff

outside - its also symple , i like the cs-3 so it come first  the best side regection  , very flat sound , if i need another short shot gun  i pull the 416 , if i need to do something from bellow in very open shot from the top , i pull the 816 , of course if the shot is very wide and i still wont to go from the top the 816 has the nerowest pick up pattern
sometime there are voices that dont sounds good or you can say in some way finner on the cs-3 so its the time to bring the 416  otherwise its only for back up
octava - thats my back up and dangerous situation mike - gun shots( can blow the capsul) ,  heavy smoke , extrim situation in abath room - every thing that i consider as dangerous to my other mikes which cost 10 times more  i take this russian solgier and send him to die becouse only one reason - its cheap mike , you dont have to regret , just take the visa and buy new head

for documentary work is depends on what iam doing , if ican change the mikes in different situations , usially i start with cs-3 e which have very nice resolts inside and do all day with it if i cant change for somthing better inside , if i know iam running all day inside the schoeps start the day , since i have small ball and fur inside my bag , i can in aseconds to be go outside if i need , documentary is alwais compromise , otherwise it feuture :-) and then you have to compromise becouse your f... director desided to reinvent the cinema shots , so it more to be with your hand on the pulse of the production , make some homwork and stay alive to make your next gig
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

That was some good reading... I especially like the Oktava being the Russian Soldier sent in to die (or live)... clever perspective is always great.

Maybe I'm just worn out, but that post is good. :)
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

Well since I started this question I guess i can add to once more. First I got the MKH 40 and hope to give it a test on a local commerical next weekend. I don't much about mics but just thought I need a really good mic and had used Sennheiser before.

My question is why use an exteranl audio recorder like a 744t? Everything I read said the DVX100 audio is very high quality and that I should record straight into the camera. Should I consider sepreate audio recording?
 
Re: SENNHEISER MKH-40-P48 CARDIOID

[quote author=jjpopp link=board=audio;num=1106844908;start=15#17 date=02/04/05 at 18:47:50]
My question is why use an exteranl audio recorder like a 744t?  Everything I read said the DVX100 audio is very high quality and that I should record straight into the camera.   Should I consider sepreate audio recording?[/quote]

There are many reason to record external or second system.

The DVX is an awesome audio camera but that is meant as an incomplete comparative statement. If you listen to all the other prosumer (and a lot of professional cameras also) cameras they sound just horrible; I mean god awful, unacceptable to even untrained ears. The DVX is the first camera in this price range where you can comfortably record audio on somthing for broadcast.

That being said, the 744t is rumoured to be perhaps the finest audio recorder ever (other people's opinion as it just came out and I have not gotten mine yet).

So if you are recording something that will have a theatrical distribution, are aiming to get the absolute best audio possible, and have a decent budget you will want to use an external recorder (the 744t being one choice).

There are other reasons, too numerous to get into, to record to external recorder even with the DVX's good audio.

Basically, if you hire a professional sound department they will suggest the best way to get audio on your budget and distribution methods.

For example, I am working a doc right now that has gotten it's total budget thru grants. They requested an external recorder and described their distribution (coincidentally they are using the DVX as one camera). I explained my price structure and they talked about scraping together some money from non-audio budget but I told them the DVX would be just fine for their doc and to use their limited budget elsewhere. I did throw in a cassette tape recorder for transcribing (for no extra money).

A good sound guy will give you what is neccessary but not dump unneeded extras on you (IMO).

Hope that adequately answers your question.
 
Back
Top